Efficient space heating

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
With winter just around the corner, what are you guys computing this year to keep your house warm?
I was donating ~1.5kw of compute power to folding@home project last year and would likely do the same this year if not enough heat otherwise produced by customers compute resources.
I've got around 53M folding@home "coins" :cool: and 528 work units, sitting at 50120th place.

Anyone has better ideas?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I'll do primegrid as always, also new fad ... upscaling, and interpolating your old movie/tv show library.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Running my heat pump will be more efficient $/btu, so I'll be doing that vs running all my servers =P

Reactions: T_Minus

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Idling in The Roost of the VRChat world The Great Pug, with some AI inference on the side on the VR rig. I was actively doing some in SillyTavern a few days back and my room definitely heated up a little!

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
Have an Antminer S9 running BRAIINS. set power to 600W, let it optimize itself. basically jumps up a generation in terms of J/H at less than half power. fans are running a minimums too for 600W.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Running my heat pump will be more efficient $/btu, so I'll be doing that vs running all my servers =P
Yeah, obviously I have them, but I'm rarely visiting the building, however can't let it freeze too. I choose running something for science rather than just running a boring heat pump.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Yeah, obviously I have them, but I'm rarely visiting the building, however can't let it freeze too. I choose running something for science rather than just running a boring heat pump.
I try to minimize my carbon footprint.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
Crypto mining is not only good for your wallet, but also for the environment, as it reduces the need for fossil fuels and encourages renewable energy sources.
I am all for crypto mining and actually have a S9 I use for space heating my office room when I am WFH. Bit of a stretch to say crypto mining reduces the need for fossil fuels and encourages renewable energy. In an ideal world, yes. But we are in a far from ideal world. Maybe after the next halvening. Miners only want cheap electricity. They don't really care where it comes from.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
@SnJ9MX
You're talking to ChatGPT sir
Usually I am quite proficient in detecting AI generated text. The post has since been deleted. If it was AI generated, I highly doubt it was ChatGPT. Maybe one of the other models. Below is my attempt to get it to spit out the general sentiment of the post I replied to. I knew it wouldn't blindly say that crypto mining increases renewables.

Me:
can you please write a paragraph on crypto mining and how it's good for space heating and helps reduce fossil fuel usage while increasing renewable adoption
ChatGPT (GPT4):
Cryptocurrency mining, often perceived as an energy-intensive process, can paradoxically contribute positively to environmental sustainability and renewable energy adoption. This intersection of technology and energy efficiency is particularly evident in the use of crypto mining for space heating. By harnessing the substantial heat generated from mining operations, individuals and businesses can repurpose this otherwise wasted energy for heating buildings. This dual-use approach not only increases the overall energy efficiency of mining activities but also decreases reliance on traditional heating methods that often involve burning fossil fuels. Moreover, as the demand for greener sources of energy rises, crypto miners are increasingly turning to renewable energy sources. This shift is motivated partly by the long-term economic benefits and the desire to mitigate the environmental impact of mining. The integration of renewable energy sources like solar, wind, or hydroelectric power further encourages the growth and adoption of clean energy. Consequently, by promoting a circular economy where waste (in this case, heat) is repurposed, and by driving the demand for renewables, crypto mining can play an unexpected yet significant role in reducing fossil fuel usage and supporting the transition to a more sustainable energy future.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Yeah, likely. After all LLMs are freakin freely available for anyone and any lil boi can spin it up no time. It's cool and scary at the same time, scammers are widely utilizing it now. To a great result for them.
Eldery people should be aware of these increased risks.

Jun 9, 2023
USA
www.youtube.com
I should have looked to see where I started this year on my score but I am up to 130,000,000 points now. I think I started around 80,000,000 at the beginning of the year. At the height of things I was running 20 machines. I wish I knew if my score was good or not but it is an easy way to supplement my heating needs and use less gas. Plus I feel safer running PCs instead of resistive heat.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
running PC is resistive heat tho :cool:
and with these 12vhpwr you never know where you may end up.
ive only ran folding@home for a few days this winter as theres already enough excess heat here this year my rack keeps filling up