EEATX Short Tower Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

H in OH

Oct 28, 2013
Hello Everyone,

There has been some interesting talk about motherboards with additional devices onboard, such as HW RAID and 10GbE. These motherboards tend to present amazing deals with the whole board costing less than the included peripherals would. A great example is the Supermicro X9DR7-TF+. However, more parts require more real estate. Supermicro likes to make boards in their larger EEATX size of 13.68 x 13 inches.

The corresponding Supermicro chassis to fit the EEATX boards can get fairly large. It looks like the main reason for the extra depth is to include an 8-bay or larger hot swap drive array in front of the motherboard area. I don't need anything like that. A simple 5-drive cage in a triple 5.25 bay in front of the power supply would be sufficient.

Are there any shorter tower systems out there that fit EEATX boards with less than 23 inch depth?

Thanks.

---H

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have been looking for something similar. EEATX is going to be difficult to find as it is really a Supermicro specific size. On the other hand, there are a lot of motherboards in the EATX form factor...

If/ when I re-do the main workstation I was thinking of using one of these: Amazon.com: Cooler Master HAF XB - LAN Box and Test Bench Mid Tower Computer Case with ATX Motherboard Support (RC-902XB-KKN1): Computers & Accessories

17.4 x 16.7 x 13 inches from what I have seen. Rumor has it that it BARELY fits Extended ATX motherboards but that is likely OK for me. I was using a Cosmos S case which was huge. I then swapped to a Corsair 500R which does fit the SSI CEB ASUS P9X79 WS (which you can see here)

H in OH

Oct 28, 2013
After a little more research, it looks like the extra size of the EEATX is in the width, not the front-to-back length compared to an EATX. A case with more room in front won't help. In theory, a chassis like the Chenbro RM41300-FS81 could work if a narrower power supply could be mounted.