ECC Registered Support w/ Xeon - ASRock X99 Taichi?

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Oddworld, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Oddworld

Oddworld Member

I am trying to use a QS Intel QK3M (E5-1650 v4) [6 Cores @ 3.5 GHz; 15MB L3 Cache] but the issue is that ASUS motherboards are not booting with the CPU. I understand from reading the Xeon ES forum pages that ASRock boards tend to have better support. I already own DDR4 ECC Registered memory.

Question: Will the ASRock X99 Taichi support ECC Registered (versus unbuffered) memory?

Link to the motherboard below. No doubt I'm in the "unsupported config" but wanted your input.
    ASRock X99 Taichi LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

2. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

I have a Asrock X99 Taichi system board with ECC reg ram and Xeon E5-4655 v3 CPU.
    It is running Ubuntu 16 Linux and mining for the past year.

I run more than 10 various Asrock X99 model system board. I like it very much. The reason is that it is easy to flash the all-core-turbo bios.

3. EffrafaxOfWug

EffrafaxOfWug Radioactive Member

I'm using the X99 WS with ECC registered, and it's listed as supported in the MB spec for this board too:
    ASRock X99 Taichi

The two crucial sticks they mention in their memory QVL are also ECC RDIMMs.

4. Oddworld

Oddworld Member

Which board are you referring to? Asus X99 WS?

The one I’ve trouble with is Asus X99-e WS (latest bios).

5. EffrafaxOfWug

EffrafaxOfWug Radioactive Member

Nope, the ASrock X99 WS, confusingly named the same as the Asus one. ASRock have been my go-to brand for some years now given that IME their BIOSes play nicer (especially with linux) and they enable ECC support everywhere possible.

The Asus one should support ECC registered just fine though I would have thought...

6. Oddworld

Oddworld Member

Thanks. Maybe it does... I perhaps wasn’t clear. I couldn’t get the ES Xeon to boot with unbuffered ram (known working using a different Haswell Xeon). Broadwell ES was an issue. Maybe registered ram works, and maybe not, but the chip I’m trying to deploy wouldn’t work.

The ES Xeon referenced above works fine on a HP dl380 Gen9.