Ebay - Supermicro 4U CSE-417 72 Bay 599.00 OBO YMMV

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado

Supermicro 4U CSE-417 72 Bay SFF Barebone Server 2x 1400W PWS Rails 599.00 + 70.00 s/h

OBO of 465.00 + 70 s/h was accepted (Started at 425). I had the impression after they accepted my offer that the seller (The Server Store) might have accepted slightly less but YMMV.

It was a reasonably good deal for me as I needed 48 or so 2.5" bays and qty 2xCSE-216 was going to cost 500 or so without rails and that makes either an extra system or 1-2 more P/S's I'd have to run.

Reactions: Rand__ and BLinux

GladLock96

Nov 8, 2016
Do you think there would be any compatibility issues by swapping out those stock fans for Noctua fans for my homelab?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Edit-updated with some relevant forum links to redirect.

Do you think there would be any compatibility issues by swapping out those stock fans for Noctua fans for my homelab?
I don't have any first hand experience as I am about to make my first (and large at that) foray into the SM eco-system.

perhaps someone else with more experience can speak up but this probably isn't the correct thread/forum.

quick search of supermicro && noctua turned up a lot of useful threads:

esp.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-sc847-fan-choices.16724/#post-160280

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-4u-24-bay-chassis-gotchas.11625/

also the 8xx and 216 chassis threads are relevant too.

Last edited:

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
If you have low power 2.5's (i.e., HGSTs ssd's) you can IPMI the fans down to super low levels using ipmitools. I run my Dells 630/730's at barely audible levels with V4 L procs and low wattage 2.5's to get away with it. Most L procs can sustain higher temperatures which helps with the lack of static pressure when running this low. Source your parts right if noise is a major concern and you'll be good. There are solid ways around the server "noise" problem- PM me if you need help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
Supermicro 4U CSE-417 72 Bay SFF Barebone Server 2x 1400W PWS Rails 599.00 + 70.00 s/h

OBO of 465.00 + 70 s/h was accepted (Started at 425). I had the impression after they accepted my offer that the seller (The Server Store) might have accepted slightly less but YMMV.

It was a reasonably good deal for me as I needed 48 or so 2.5" bays and qty 2xCSE-216 was going to cost 500 or so without rails and that makes either an extra system or 1-2 more P/S's I'd have to run.

Did you ever purchase this unit?

Reactions: Samir

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Did you ever purchase this unit?
I did. At the price I put in the original post.

Some observations and thoughts:

There are a lot of fans inside. more fans than my motherboard (x9srl-f) has headers for.
That number of fans is LOUD even with fan speed tuning.
The chassis I purchased came with (IIRC) 2x1400W -R PSU's. these are VERY LOUD.
The Chassis came with all 72 bays (expanders) chained together - so just 2 SFF-8087 for a single HBA.
The chassis is HEAVY (should have been obvious to me but was heavier than I expected).
The chassis is also deeper than say an 836. It is rather awkward.
Power draw with 60 or so SSD's was about 285-295W. Idle crept up to about 260W as I added more and more drives.
I don't like the generic rails it came with. Don't like how they install, don't like how they fit.

This chassis is a beast. I'll put it in the same category as a 48-60 3.5 drive chassis.. Just a little lighter perhaps.

At the time I purchased this I had planned to install:
about 46 SSD's and 10 or so disks. This eventually grew to about 66 SSD's.

Changes and things I did:

Pulled three fans. This changed the noise level a bit and did not really adversely affect temps - went up by about 1-2 degrees.
Replaced the PSU's with 1200W SQ.
Changed to 1 HBA per shelf (LSI 9205)
Installed over 60 SSD's and removed all the disks.
Got tennis elbow from adding / removing / adding / removing drives to/from sleds in a short period of time.
Had to get assistance to initially rack it. Don't put this much above waist level in a rack unless you have help.
With my puny lab/office environment I was only able to hit about 28Gbps with synthetic workloads - probably operator error. Typical active workload was more like 4-6Gbps.

Should I have purchased this beast?
Probably not, but its been fun to play with and I don't regret the purchase.

Am I using it right now?
No, its powered off and I'm probably going to pull it from the rack for the time being as I have a better use for 4U and 24 of the SSDs. My rack is small at 29U. I also like to change things around a bit so my environment is not really all that static. There's only 1 server that I don't mess with or I have hell to pay (house infrastructure).

Am I going to sell it?
No, probably not. A small voice inside my head keeps saying, but wouldn't it be fun to put a bunch of those 5TB Costco seagates in there. A bunch = 70 or so. A more rationale voice says no way - you are not shucking 70 5TB drives. But I can forsee some use cases in the future that will cause me to use it again and its just something I would not want to source again.

This is definitely a right tool for the right job kinda item and if you don't have the right job its more than a bit of waste. Fun, but wasted potential if you can't use most of it.

FWIW and slightly off topic, my transition from desktop/mini-tower servers to supermicro rack based is almost complete and the best deal and most flexible chassis I've found through this transition are Compellent SC-030's, especially if < $100 each. Even using 2.5" drives - just pick up some of those $3.00 dell 2.5 to 3.5 adapters and off you go.