ebay seller request - what would you do?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I got an interesting request after a SSD I purchased arrived yesterday (m.2 PCIe for the Xeon D):
I sent you the wrong item. The serial number on that one was not the serial number that I wanted to sell. Can you please send that one back and I will send the other one as soon as I get the one you have? thank you.
I have many hundreds of ebay transactions, but this is the first I have heard of something like this. What would you do?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Was the serial number called out in the listing you bought against? Or perhaps clearly visible in the listing photo? If not I'd find a very kind way of telling him "pound sand".

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
depends... how GREAT of a deal was it?
10% under normal used pricing for the item. Not great but I needed (read wanted) one for the Xeon D platform.

Was the serial number called out in the listing you bought against? Or perhaps clearly visible in the listing photo? If not I'd find a very kind way of telling him "pound sand".
It was not called out, but it is visible.

I am just thinking, #1 who really cares if you have two and sell either? #2 If I send back, how do I know I will get anything back? #3 I have a drive in hand and that is a very odd request.

Maybe I will throw it in a test rig tomorrow just to see if it works.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Could be a genuine mistake ... maybe he just realized he didn't erase the contents and there is personal data on there ?

IMHO, if you were to honor the request, ( and on the "bird in the hand" principle ) then asking the seller to ship you the replacement item for verification/testing along with a pre-paid return shipping label would not be unreasonable.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Start a dispute with paypal and state exactly what the seller requested, and your resolution is him refunding 100% and you shipping back.

Seems to work for me when sellers want to play games. I've stopped trying to be nice, some sellers just want to drag it out and hope you forget too.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
IMHO, if you were to honor the request, ( and on the "bird in the hand" principle ) then asking the seller to ship you the replacement item for verification/testing along with a pre-paid return shipping label would not be unreasonable.
This. Also did the seller offer to pay for shipping back? IMO unreasonable that you have to delay a build because the seller sent the wrong one.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
My first thought is that the seller screwed up and accidentally sent out an item that his friend lent him instead of the one he bought (and ended up not wanting). I've done this before. Lent a friend a SSD so he could see the difference. Friend ended up buying one, and gave the new one to me by accident instead of the one I lent him. I didn't care, but if there were a firmware difference between the two (new one fixed some issue the old one had) or something? Yeah. I could see wanting one version over another.

Or maybe he's a good an honest seller, and accidentally sent you the one that failed his SMART tests instead of the replacement he bought (and then decided he didn't need?). 'Course, it could be the other way around, too!

Of course, the original question was "what would I do?" Me, I'm an a-hole. I'd keep the disk I have, and either not respond or respond negatively. The seller was polite and professional, even if the request was unusual. But I'm looking out for me. I don't want to be without a disk, or risk getting something less than I paid for. He screwed up, his mistake. He can deal with it.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
If you return the item without anything written, don't expect to get a refund say if the package gets lost in transit! I'd ask for them to send you the replacement unit up-front, then you would send back the wrong item after you are happy!

Too many scammers out there! They work all angles possible these days!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I say open an EBAY dispute case and let it be resolved.
I just had an EBAY seller ask me (buyer) to do this for an 840 EVO I received that had 400+ errors. He said that way he could give me the shipping label so I wouldn't have to pay. I wasn't aware that's how it worked.