EATON 5S1600(au) Impressions (mini review)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
Well as i struggled so much trying to find out information / reviews / capabilities of this small tower UPS I thought i'd do a quick write up. It will be basic as I am as basic as they come, but it may help people looking for info in the future - I'm pretty time poor so as much as I would like to get a load of screen shots I dont have time at the moment.

Its a budget home based UPS no doubt but has what I consider to be some nice features, that are hard to find info about! This is for the Aussie version which differs slightly on sockets etc but otherwise the same as the 5S1600

Specs:- here
Topology Line-Interactive (AVR with Booster + Fader)
Configuration Tower or under monitor
Rating (VA/Watts) 1600/960
Dimensions (H x W x D, mm) 250 x 87 x 382
Weight (kg) 11.08
Warranty 2 years warranty including batteries
Battery Management Automatic battery test, deep-discharge protection, cold-start capable, replaceable batteries
HID-compliant USB port for automatic integration with most common operating systems (Windows Vista, 7 & 8, Linux, Mac OS X), cable supplied

I have a smaller 5e unit powering my freenas microserver (n40l), router and monitor, which was fairly easy to set up (once i figured which driver to use in freenas) and works well

This 5s1600 unit was intended to power:-

1x workstation / server - 1075 phenom x6 - 10x 500gb disks - Perc 5i - 8gb ram - Windows 7
1x office PC - Phenom X3 720 - 2x 1tb disks - 12gb ram - windows 7
4x 24" monitors
1x tp link gigabit switch.

Surprisingly the all up load of this is around 400w - 450w when running 'normally' - startup is about 600 - 700w - I thought it would be higher, but looking at run times I'm kind of glad. The workstation / Server will be replaced soon with a xeon e3 based unit, but i'm hoping it should use a little less.

I had done some research into shutting down remote computers on mains failure based on UPS signals and most refer to shutdown scripts or higher end UPS's having software to manage this. My intention was to have the UPS hooked up to the workstation and have it shut down the office pc on power failure - so i knew scripts could do it.. but I could not find anything out about the eaton ups, the software or anything easily.

So - Installation (after the prerequisite charging before use) - Easy - apart from sorting all of my cabling out! - UPS's are not complex - so hooked everything up via a couple of powerboards 1 into the master socket one into one of 2 slaves - USB hooked into the Workstation. Non critical stuff went into the 3 surge but not power protected sockets on the rear that also have eco control (yet to play with that)

Workstation on - the LCD on the ups shows wattage, and by pressing the middle button cycles though display of W, VA, % load, min runtime, Vin, HZ in, Vout, HZ out. Once booted windows 7 found the driver and installed silently notifying me it had installed it.

Office PC was booted and wattage noted.

Now for the unknown bit - the software.

There are 3 main softwares available:-

Eaton UPS companion - basic software
Eaton Intelligent Power Protector
Eaton Intelligent Power Manager

I initially tried the basic UPS companion and removed it as there was not much info and no network based shutdown facility (I was trying to save the scripted remote shutdown for an emergency :) )

Next up was the Intelligent Power Protector software (you must uninstall the UPS companion first) - this turned out to be a web based interface, service based application - Once I had read the manual to get the default login - some nice info and easy to use. the manual (yes I should have started by reading the manuals) insinuated network capability.. there was an auto discovery option in the settings also, so after setting email notifications and other settings up - I dug a bit deeper.

I installed IPP onto the office PC - Logged in - went to auto discovery and in a few seconds the UPS on the workstation was showing as a potential power source. After selecting the power source, configuring the shutdown timers etc, I went back to the workstation and the office PC was now showing as a device with a class of shutdown controller client in web interface. it provides a full summary of the settings on the office PC and I can log into the service on the office PC from the workstation to manage it if required.

When the power is cut, both machines show a notification of power failure and the shutdown timers start counting individually on each machine, I have it set so both sent an email notification to me. When the office PC sleeps - I get a notification saying the communication has been lost with that machine. If the power comes back prior to the shutdown timer completing, the timer resets and I get notifications (screen and email) to say the power is back on. Notification are fairly well configurable on a per machine basis within the settings section

With both machines running I get a run time of around 9 minutes - not long but long enough to go and switch the breaker (our usual power failure) or at least I get a clean shut down and prevents the hours I have lost recently with boot drives corrupting (including freenas boot sticks)

There isnt much else you can say about the UPS - its a UPS - It works as advertised - It can hold a 400w load for about 9 minutes and most Importantly - In windows 7 remote shutdown via network (in a workgroup) works well and its fairly easy to set up - This is the information I couldnt find! - just read the manual first!

Feel free to ask for any additional info - I have literally spend only a few minutes cobbling this together!

Steve

Last edited:

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
Thanks Biren... more a collection of random words, but the main point being the network shutdown that I couldn't easily find via google!

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
does it cause a shutdown or hibernate suspend?

What about after a period of time when power is recovered? Does it re-power up the machines?

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
Hi Mrkrad

Regarding the first question... you have the options of Hibernate, power off, script (you can run a pre defined script by path), or Shutdown

the second question I am unsure of at the moment, but i'll try and find some time to test. The manual touches on it briefly, but doesnt give a definite answer. I'll provide an update when I find that rare resourse (time)

Steve