E5-v4 cpu, seeking recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Beer_Engineer

Mar 15, 2018
Good evening!
I ordered a MBD-X10SRL-F thanks to a nice deal offered up on Newegg. I wasn’t expecting supply on the e5 v4 CPUs to be so tight, but prices are quite high. I was able to secure a back order from B&H for about 450 dollars on an e5-2620v4.

I’m currently using Qnap 251+ for serving up plex and files, but I wanted more capability. I want something that Gives me expandability and the ability to grow into the server. I’m interested in virtualization and doing some learning with on prem sql based erp software, but with no actual users, demands should be small. The server will get handbrake duties, and whatever other fun projects you real professionals inspire me to try.

Is the 2620 the right cpu? I could swing a bit more to move into a 2630 or 2640, but I’m thinking that I probably already have more processing than I need and I would be better off spending budget on memory, chassis, Nvme, and 10g networking.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
If you want it cheap and don't need high processing power anyway, I would recommend v3 CPUs. They are still far from cheap, but prices and supply on the second hand market are still better than for v4.

Reactions: Beer_Engineer

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I’m thinking that I probably already have more processing than I need and I would be better off spending budget on memory
This! You will likely run out of memory before other resources anyhow.
I never ran out of compute power even when I was running Xeon x3440 or i7-2600 quad cores.
I was running around 30 VMs (Citrix Stack/Suite) and 32GB limit was the only issues with resources I had.

Currently have E5-2620 v3 and I can't see myself needing to upgrade any time soon.

Reactions: Beer_Engineer

Beer_Engineer

Mar 15, 2018
Thank you for the feedback. I still have the V4 2620 backordered for $450.
Getting a v3 via ebay is going to run me $330. That doesn't seem like that much of a bargain since it would be used and I'd get 2 less cores, a tiny bit more power usage, and a tiny bit less instructions per clock.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Thank you for the feedback. I still have the V4 2620 backordered for $450.
Getting a v3 via ebay is going to run me $330. That doesn't seem like that much of a bargain since it would be used and I'd get 2 less cores, a tiny bit more power usage, and a tiny bit less instructions per clock.
8 cores really is a sweet spot with good capability and from then on prices start to escalate significantly, I think if you can afford it then the 2620v4 is a fine choice.

Beer_Engineer

Mar 15, 2018
Now how to convince the wife that a Supermicro 846 is a good investment to put this stuff in.. :)

Any advice there?? Lol!!