E5 2699 v4 Turbo Boost Mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Have been thinking to purchase this baddest CPU but hesitated due to concerns on the single core performance. On the specification sheet it says the E5-2699-V4 can run at up to 3.6Ghz at Turbo Boost mode. I am not sure what it actually means in the actual daily usage.

For example if I use single thread application like Adobe product at what point the CPU goes up to 3.5Ghz? At that 3.5Ghz how many cores are working?

When the Turbo Boost is working how does it compare with the i7 CPU at the same frequency?

I use a lot of multithread heavy applications and also use those who run single thread only. Want to get some clearer idea on this.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gahabana

Dec 19, 2015
these 2 should help:
Actual CPU Speeds - What You See Is Not Always What You Get
and Intel specs:
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2600 v4 Product Family Spec Update

so you can see how many cores can turbo up to which frequency.

My opinion is - (and i am not Adobe user) - if the application is good at leveraging number of cores available (e.g. rendering process) and you want to make sure that one is fastest possible then more cores even at lower frequency is better. If application is not that good then 4-6 or 8 cores at higher speed will be better. Adobe is bit of a mix from all the articles i read online.
IF it scales well with number of cores then you just multiply GHZxNumberOfCores and thats it.
In case of E5-2699 V4 - you have 24 cores doing 2.8GHz each ... that is lot more then i7-6900K where you get 6 cores doing 4.4Ghz each (bit of overclock) ... 24*2.8 >> 6*4.4 ...
on the other side if your app often does 1-2-3 core work, your 2699 might see 2-3-4 core workload (os, background process etc) and run at 3.3 GHz which is 30% slower then i7@4.4ghz.

Intel document tells you precisely how many cores active will turbo up to certain frequency. See Table 5 on Page 10.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
these 2 should help:
Actual CPU Speeds - What You See Is Not Always What You Get
and Intel specs:
Intel[emoji768] Xeon[emoji768] Processor E5-2600 v4 Product Family Spec Update

so you can see how many cores can turbo up to which frequency.

My opinion is - (and i am not Adobe user) - if the application is good at leveraging number of cores available (e.g. rendering process) and you want to make sure that one is fastest possible then more cores even at lower frequency is better. If application is not that good then 4-6 or 8 cores at higher speed will be better. Adobe is bit of a mix from all the articles i read online.
IF it scales well with number of cores then you just multiply GHZxNumberOfCores and thats it.
In case of E5-2699 V4 - you have 24 cores doing 2.8GHz each ... that is lot more then i7-6900K where you get 6 cores doing 4.4Ghz each (bit of overclock) ... 24*2.8 >> 6*4.4 ...
on the other side if your app often does 1-2-3 core work, your 2699 might see 2-3-4 core workload (os, background process etc) and run at 3.3 GHz which is 30% slower then i7@4.4ghz.

Intel document tells you precisely how many cores active will turbo up to certain frequency. See Table 5 on Page 10.
Fantastic! This tech document is so helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk