e1000 nic driver issue with centos 6.6

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bashed

Apr 29, 2015
I am able to access my supermicro box via IPMI. But, been having an issue with public network working due to apparently, NIC driver issue with SM boards and Centos 6.6

e1000e NIC issue permanent fix? | Web Hosting Talk

We noticed some odd behavior on the e1000e NIC on the latest CentOS 6.6 installer (and also 6.5 by the way) where the network driver gave many errors on the network interface on our Supermicro X8-series mainboards and it suddenly stopped working. We have tested this on the X8SIL-F and X8SIE-F mainboards.

This driver works fine though if you already have the OS installed:

http://elrepo.reloumirrors.net/elrep...epo.x86_64.rpm

Just create an ISO file containing this file and install it via KVM-over-IP.
How can I actually install this driver via IPMI since I cannot do a yum or wget for example?

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Use whatever CD writing software you prefer to make an .iso image containing the .RPM file, and then use IPMI virtual media to attach it to the server.

Reactions: Bashed

Bashed

Apr 29, 2015
Actually, I opened up console now and used the virtual storage method. But, not sure how to install the driver with the .iso "plugged in" via the virtual storage. Would appreciate your help. I rebooted after mounting/pluggin it in and chose boot menu option virtual cd-rom. But it still booted into Centos?

Thanks.!

Last edited:

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Same way you would have done it if you had been able to 'wget' it to local storage, just a different path. The commands below I just typed from memory and may need a bit of tweaking to work just right, paths/filenames changed to match, etc.

1. Attach .iso to virtual drive (sounds like you got that done already)
2. Open a terminal with a root shell ('sudo -i' to get a root-interactive shell once you have a terminal open)
3. Mount the CD ('mount /dev/cdrom /mnt' : Your CD device may be called something other than /dev/cdrom. You can use any empty folder as a destination, or make a new one.)
4. Install the RPM from the CD ('yum install /mnt/kmod-.....rpm' : Either use the full name of the RPM, or 'yum install /mnt/*.rpm')
5. If it installed successfully, unmount the CD ('umount /mnt'), disconnect the virtual media, and reboot to see if the new driver works.
If it did not install it is most likely due to yum trying to install dependencies that it can't get with no internet access - you should see that in the yum output. You can work around that issue by grabbing the RPM files for the missing dependencies and putting all of them onto the .iso, then 'yum install /mnt/*.rpm' to install all of it in a single command.

Reactions: Bashed

Bashed

Apr 29, 2015
Thanks @TuxDude but I'm stuck. Can't mount. I attached the iso via the console > virtual media > virtual storage > cdrom option. Rebooted server. It's mounted as shown in screenshot, but can't mount via the terminal.

driver.PNG mounted.PNG

Bashed

Apr 29, 2015
Cool, I got it working :)

Thanks for your help.

It was /dev/cdrom1. Missed my mind to check that first before posting before.

Bashed

Apr 29, 2015
@TuxDude

One more hiccup... I have 2 exact other identical servers (100% same hardware/centos 6.6 install).

Strange enough, although mounted the iso fine and rebooted, I can't get the yum install working?

I'm using the same /etc/resolv.conf as the other fixed server (using Googe's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
is also correct.

Little baffled here.

Attachments

Last edited: