DYI Server AMD X570D4U-2L2T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

f!R3W4LL

Jan 3, 2021
Build’s Name: SST-Enterprise :)
Operating System/ Storage Platform: VMWare ESXI 7.0
CPU: AMD R7 3700X
Motherboard: ASrock Rack X570D4U-2L2T
Chassis: Silverstone CS-381
Drives: 8x Ironwolf 8TB
RAM: 64GB LPX
Add-in Cards: HP P420 Smart Array / Nvidia Quadro P2200
Power Supply: 600W SFX Corsair
Other Bits: Adapter 8087 to 8643 SAS Cable/Adapter

Usage Profile:
(Gaming Server, Plex Server, Storage)

Hi Guys

I'm quite new here, and am happy to share my system with the community here.

I was able to assemble my long-awaited project more or less yesterday. Must say, I'm already quite familiar what ESXI and VMs etc.. Now I'm completely stuck. Because somehow, my system does not work as it should.

As mentioned, yesterday the system was finally assembled. Had to wait more or less a month for the mainboard. First I had problems with the HP Rom of the Raid controller. Had to remove the cache from the controller to get an error message to get into the bios. Otherwise the system would never boot (BlackBox with cursor blinking from time to time).

Since I can't get into ORCA, I guess I'll have to set up my raid via ESXI. Which is very difficult for me at the moment, because the hard drives are not recognized. And here I am wondering, what am I doing wrong? When I want to pass the raid controller via Passtrought to a VM, it starts up briefly and shuts down again without error message.

Where could be the error? The disks are connected through an adapter from SFF8087 to SFF8643 adapter via the backplane of the CS381. The disks also get power but somehow they are not recognized. Even if the HP Rom is turned on..... As soon as the initialization is finished, it briefly says that 0 disks are connected.

Another error: The Quadro P2200 was in the old system (same processor, different mainboard, with the same config (ESXI)). There it worked perfectly. The P2200 was passed to a WM without any problems. But with the new mainboard as soon as I set the Passtrought function in ESXI, it says it needs to reboot the host. This done, after reboot this message still stands. And the GPU cannot be selected.
Unfortunately not started as hoped.....

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I can't see why the hardware passthrough shouldn't be working. It's usually pretty straightforward getting it enabled.
What sort of VM are you trying to pass it to?
Can you share some screen shots of your settings?

I always pass through the GPU and the audio controller to the VM.
I have UnRaid running with a SAS3008, nvme ssd, and a Quadro P400 GPU all passed through and it works perfectly

1614354153258.png
1614354089232.png

Reactions: iiseppi

iiseppi

Feb 8, 2021
I can't see why the hardware passthrough shouldn't be working. It's usually pretty straightforward getting it enabled.
What sort of VM are you trying to pass it to?
Can you share some screen shots of your settings?

I always pass through the GPU and the audio controller to the VM.
I have UnRaid running with a SAS3008, nvme ssd, and a Quadro P400 GPU all passed through and it works perfectly

View attachment 17673
View attachment 17672
Do you use this same Asrock rack motherboard? There have been some problems with passtrough on this motherboard with some BIOS version.

f!R3W4LL

Jan 3, 2021
Hi Guys

Yes i managed it to get it work. Had to disable the OnBoard GPU from the Asrock Mainboard. So ESXi could pass it trought.

Reactions: iiseppi