Dual SFP+ ports on Ga-MZ31-AR0

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bytales

Jan 31, 2018
So i got me the Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 Motherboard and 32 core Epyc CPU.
Connecting it to home router seems to be problematic, for now, im running wifi Cards, since i cannot connect per cable, because the Motherboard has 2 what are called "SFP+ ports", and RJ45 Network cable doesnt fit, as you would expect.

Googling stuff out, i learned These are optic Inputs, and that a router with optic Outputs is needed, or what are called "SFP+ to RJ45 Transcievers"

Here Comes the Problem:
1)Transceiver Modul - Generic Kompatibel 10GBASE-T SFP+ Kupfer RJ-45 30m - 230Euro
Transceiver Modul - Generic Kompatibel 10GBASE-T SFP+ Kupfer RJ-45 30m | FS.COM
2)SFP+ Module 10GBase-T RJ45 163Euro
Delock Products 86460 Delock SFP+ Module 10GBase-T RJ45
Delock Transceiver 10GBase-T RJ45 SFP+ Modul

I mean cmon, 160 euros to be able to use my integrated Network chip ?
WTF !!

Isnt there a cheaper alternative ?
How about something from here ?
sfp+ rj45, best sfp+ rj45 products for you - FS.COM
or perhaps this one:
How to Convert SFP+ to 10GBASE-T/RJ45? – Monica Geller – Medium

But i am not familiar with this type of Card, and where it could be plugged !
Can anyone help me with this, or probably suggest better alternatives ?
Or buy a router with two sfp+ ports and connect with fibercable ? would probably be cheaper than spending 326 euro on 2 trasnceivers !

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
Can you not just buy a PCIE Network card? They are very cheap

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Why not get a switch which has SFP+ ports?
Depending on what other interfaces you need and the noise/heat you are willing to endure they are quite cheap nowadays

Edit:
O/C @TomUK is right, thats the easiest option if you only need basic connectivity and dont need 10G

Bytales

Jan 31, 2018
Why are those damn trasnceivers so expensive, i cannot imagine !
I Need to use the built in Network Cards, because right now i am using wifi, and i am iradiating myself, i want to minimze wifi Radiation. Thats why i connected everything with cables.
I allready have a dlink Switch, but i doesnt have SFP+ ports. No i have to replace it, still is the cheapest alternative, selling it, andd buying a new one with SFP+ ports.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
That switch would work, cable also ; might also be available cheaper used. Can also use a DAC cable for short lenght which is also cheaper

Supply and demand?;)
Those are sold in quite small numbers...

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
I Need to use the built in Network Cards, because right now i am using wifi, and i am iradiating myself, i want to minimze wifi Radiation. Thats why i connected everything with cables.
I allready have a dlink Switch, but i doesnt have SFP+ ports. No i have to replace it, still is the cheapest alternative, selling it, andd buying a new one with SFP+ ports.
Not sure if serious. Unless you live in the absolute middle of nowhere WiFi is unavoidable

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Do you need 10gbit ethernet over cat6 (or better) or just something to be able to connect to your router/internet?

Tacocat

Nov 23, 2015
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but how can someone who gets a very expensive server grade motherboard and highest end CPU not know what SFP+ is?

I for one know much more than my wallet would ever allow me to experience first hand and I'm kind of jealous of you. :D

Bytales

Jan 31, 2018
This is my first Encounter with SFP+, because until now i only had Motherboards that had a normal RJ45 Network Connection (Asus z9ped8 ws, Asus z10ped8 ws, Asrock ep2c612ws).
Since this Gigabyte Motherboard was the only Motherboard available right now for single socket AMD Epyc CPUs, i am stumbling in the SPF+ Network Connection teritory.
When i got my actual router, i saw there were Versions with SPF+ Connections, never knew back then exactly what it was, and i thought i would never Need it, so i ignored it.
Regarding WIFI, i know how the deal is, that it is anywhere, but i try to minimize it where i can, and the ill effects can be properly negated by earthing yourself.

Also, when i am going to build my future house, i will connect everything inside it by cable, and i am exploring ways to build the house with a built in Faraday Cage, so no wireless signals penetrate the inside of the house. An additional solution would be to integrate power cables, and all electric cables within their own Faraday volume, which can only be done so much, and could be ignored if it couldnt be done entirely as Long as the Walking surfaces inside the house are earthed.
I believe a copper/metallic surface covering the whole volume of the house would do the trick, and allthough this could be built in within the walls of the house i am yet to find a way to achieve this using transparency, the house Windows, that is.

For now i am iradiating myself massively, since i live in a normal Apartment, as you say, WIFI is everywhere, but at least i am drinking lots of distilled water, and should at least try to sleep in an earthed condition(which i dont do out of laziness).
Such iradiation, wheter ist from wifi, or telephony cell Towers, or power lines, and even the EM fields that exists in the near volume of normal power cables, creates extra voltage inside the human Body that is measurable, and this decreases life span.
It can be mitigated two ways, either by reducing EM fields, or by earthing.
You can naturally conclude that if you do both, you have achieved a superior life extending condition, which when paired with other life extending conditions, (fresh air, proper diet (Food-water), exercise, emetional Poise, etc) will lead to a proper life Extension that can go well beyond what humanity believes the human life is made to last.

But that is something yet to be discovered by the human race. We still believe falsly that we cannot live more than 120 years, or that the hayflick Limit is actually a Thing.

This is something i am going to take in consideration when i am going to build my future house.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Maybe you should get this thread moved to general chat or something. It was not a 'Great Deal' to start with but this is getting off topic quite a lot:)

Bytales

Jan 31, 2018
10Gigabit ? Are you kidding me, my Internet is Maximum 10 Mbit per second i got Maximum 5 Megabyte Downloads. I just want to connect the Motherboard through ist own ports to the home Network.
I Need to Change my Internet Provider as well, since the one im currently having offers hit and miss Internet Speed reliability (vodafone)
Best bet would be to buy a router. and/or sell the old one.

However are there any other cheaper Options apart from the 40 euro a Pop, SFP+ optical cables ? i dont Need 50 m cable capability, i only Need a normal cable that makes the conection. and 10Gbps ist definetly not the case, the Maximum i will be able to update my Internet Speed is 100 Mbps, which is 100 times slower than 10Gpbs.

When im going to build my home i will integrate 0.5Gbit.
0.5Gbit Internet Speed is 300 eur per month, 1Gbit Internet Speed is 400 euro per month

Last edited:

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Your cheapest option will be to buy a cheap gigabit pcie network card and install it on your motherboard. There are no cheap options to use your onboard 10gb nics with a regular home gigabit network

Bytales

Jan 31, 2018
I think i wil buy a switch with sfp+ connector. but i need two spf+ ccables.
I noticed these are "pasive" and "active", copper and fiberglass.
Will either variety work ?
I need to connect over a distance of 1 meter max.

Bytales

Jan 31, 2018
Why?
One from the server/pc to the switch.
Because i got two network slots. Thats why 2
Im running 2 VEGA Frontier edition watercooled, with 1 monitor attached to each card, and 2 keyboards and 2 mouse, split computer through aster.
And i want to assign one network connection to each station, my hopes is to be able to play destiny 2 together fromn this single pc, with different accounts in a party together.
Playing separatly works allready, but when we try to create a party together it crashes. I suppose i neeed to asign a network to each station.

Ayfid

Sep 14, 2017
You have a few options:

1. Buy a cheap dual-port gigabit PCIe card. If you don't have a 10gb network (which I'm guessing you don't if you have not come across SFP+ before), then just do this. It is the cheapest option (by far) and you have loads of PCIe lanes and slots available.
2. Buy one or two Mikrotik S+RJ10 adapters. They are SFP+ RJ45 modules that cost ~$60. Only do this if you are building a 10GBase-T network.
3. Buy one or two SFP (non-plus) RJ45 adapters. These are gigabit and not 10gig, and so are much cheaper (~$10). They will probably work, but might not, so do research first.
4. Buy a switch with SFP+ ports. Something like a TPLink T2700G-28Q (~$250, 24 gigabit RJ45 + 4 10gb SFP+ ports) or a Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM (~$125, 24 gigabit RJ45 + 2 10gb SFP+ ports), and one or two SFP+ passive DACs from fs.com (a few $).