Dual EPYC + Supermicro H12DSi-N6 installation problems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tturgut

May 15, 2018
Hi,
I am trying to build a computer. My knowledge is limited.

1) SUPERMICRO MBD-H12DSi-N6-O motherboard
https://www.supermicro.com/en/produc...ard/H12DSi-NT6 https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/m...0/MNL-2363.pdf
2) CPU: 2x AMD Epyc 7V12 processors (64 core each, 240 TDP, 2.45 Ghz)
3) memory: 16x 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133 LRDIMM DDR4-17000 ECC
Samsung M386A4G40DM0-CPB 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133 LRDIMM DDR4-17000 ECC Memory RAM | eBay
3) CPU Coolers : Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DX2SX7...roduct_details
4) PSU: Corsair HX1500i
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DX2SX7...roduct_details
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did research before buying every single component.
the board posts. i can get into the BIOS.
But there are big problems. I have a hard time downloading windows 10.
mem86 tests fails (stops at the beginning)
Supermicro IPMI: sees both processors and all 16 memory sticks and thinks they are healthy. (i also decreased to 2 rams (one for each processor) and they are healthy.
before post, Sometimes "CPU initialization" fails. the screen gets stuck at 68
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where I am right now:
1) it posts and goes to BIOS fine.
2) IPMI: I see 2x CPU's and Memory as healthy. (tried 16 and 2 memory sticks all shown healthy)
3) mem86 : fails (latest version, starts and stops immediately) like a hardware failure.
4) CPU? Also, sometimes-rarely during posting it gets stuck (and needs rebooting): at "CPU initialization" code 68
5) CPU installation was fine.
6) case standoffs were very small, i wonder if it may be related with that.
7) CPU installation: i used a S20 torx screw . But no pressures etc. I wonder if that's the problem.?
----------------------------------
I will try 1 CPU 1 ram tonight and see what happens.

If you guys have an idea of how to fix this problem, I would really appreciate...

thanks!!!

Reactions: matja

neobenedict

Oct 2, 2020
I'd bet its mounting pressure (or a short circuit under the board with your standoffs - make sure they're in the right place).

Buy the proper torque tool from ebay: Torx screwdriver AMD Ryzen thredripper EPYC processor star only tool | eBay yes it'll take a week to arrive but better than destroying $4000 of gear by accident.

You need a lot more force on the socket screws than you think, but the only way to do it safely is with a proper torque screwdriver, otherwise you can overtighten and destroy the pins in the socket.

Alternatively try reseating the chips. Try one CPU instead of two and see if the issues persist, swap CPUs if so to check the CPUs aren't the problem.

I'd also try different memory, 4 rank LRDIMM is weird and I know epyc milan (rome might be different) doesn't play well with some LRDIMM memory I had. Buy a couple sticks of standard memory and test. Find memory that is confirmed working by looking at xmrig benchmarks RandomX Benchmark - XMRig - click on the benchmarks and it'll sometimes tell you what memory was used.

Reactions: matja

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
I am wanting to purchase this board and have lots of random ddr4, I'm definitely worried.

thanks

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I am wanting to purchase this board and have lots of random ddr4, I'm definitely worried.
its not the board. mixing DDR? size and type is generaly not a good idea, not recommended/not supported.

tturgut

May 15, 2018
I think it is a ram problem.
decreased RAM to 2 (one on each CPU, worked well) then 4,8,... still well. But 16 does not work..
these were 4x4 ranked.
IPMI sees them as healthy, but 16 does not work.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
note you have two CPU with 128 log.processors, makes 256 log.
windows 10s affinity is a 64 bit value and can represent only 64 log.processors.
some apps give unwanted results.
microsoft's solution is currently: equal division of the threads into processor groups with a maximum of 64 threads, provided that there are more than 64 threads in the system

tturgut

May 15, 2018
page 31 of the manual shows that 8 Rams are supported (outer 2 locations x4)
anyway, its running well with 8 right now.
instead of 16x 32 (4x4 rank), I will decrease to 16x 16Gb dualrank

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
page 31 of the manual shows that 8 Rams are supported (outer 2 locations x4)
QVL contents a 4DRx4 3DS but not LRDIMM.
should have checked the SMsite first, thought it has 2 DIMMs per channel, so if not 8 Ranks are not possible.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
2) CPU: 2x AMD Epyc 7V12 processors (64 core each, 240 TDP, 2.45 Ghz)
Aren't these oems cpus?
Is it possible that they are vendor locked?
What iso file are you using?
Try creating one with the media creation tool. This should use a current image with fixes for epyc cpus.

tturgut

May 15, 2018
so, what exactly do i need to buy? (I want to connect Nvme hard drive)

will the speed be less than putting directl;y to the board PCI4 slot?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
so, what exactly do i need to buy? (I want to connect Nvme hard drive)
cables from the CN1/CN2 connectors to a U.2 backplane i.e. or just adapter cables.
check the manual what type of conns you need at the mboard side.
will the speed be less than putting directl;y to the board PCI4 slot?
the CN1/CN2 are connected straight to the CPU PCIe lanes.
a PCIe slot must bifircated to use with more than one drive.
CN1/CN2 are 2x (4x4x)

deza

Sep 5, 2023
I'm in the same situation, I want to connect M.2 NVME 2 disks to each CN port of the H12DSI Supermicro and unable to find any information what connectors, cables to use for this to happen. The documentation of the motherboard is very limited and there is nothing specific mentioned about type of cables or connectors to be used for this to happen. Also found something what I think it could work but the guy is also not sure what cable to use to connect to the motherboard : 3.5 Inch Oculink & SATA to M.2/M.3 NVMe SSD Caddy | eBay

ano

Nov 7, 2022
it works well, on that motherbord, I use nvme slimsas to u.2, no need for occulink

neobenedict

Oct 2, 2020
I'm in the same situation, I want to connect M.2 NVME 2 disks to each CN port of the H12DSI Supermicro and unable to find any information what connectors, cables to use for this to happen. The documentation of the motherboard is very limited and there is nothing specific mentioned about type of cables or connectors to be used for this to happen. Also found something what I think it could work but the guy is also not sure what cable to use to connect to the motherboard : 3.5 Inch Oculink & SATA to M.2/M.3 NVMe SSD Caddy | eBay
Maybe https://www.amazon.com/Highpoint-TS8i-8639-060-SFF-8654-SFF-8639-Connector/dp/B08WJYM7ZT

Sometimes these slimsas cables don't work properly because they only support SATA and not pcie 4.0