Dual Epyc 7003 builds?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DaTruAndi

Mar 10, 2023
Hello (new) friends,
since I ordered two Epyc 7763 for a good price (impulse buy I hope will not regret), I am trying to build a data processing/AI workstation
As boards I identified
TYAN S8253GM4NE-2T
GIGABYTE MZ72-HB0 Server
Supermicro Motherboard MBD-H12DSI-NT6-B
ASRock Rack ROME2D16 2T
I plan to add at least one if not more RTX 4090 to it.

The goal is to use it as a combo client workstation (don't hate me)/rendering/data crunching device running Windows 11 Pro for Workstations. Will use WSL2 for Linux (which runs pretty great these days).

Now, obviously I am wondering/am concerned to some extend about driver support.
I could of course try to run Windows Server but then I face the reverse issue of some software not running when they detect a server.

Which board would you go for?
The gigabyte is somewhat compelling because of the number of PciE 4x16 slots, but the slots are packed very close together. The Tyan has a very attractive price right now. The ASRock seems hard to find.

Any experiences with driver support?
a) in general from those vendors - which is the best bet to be supported...
b) specifically under Windows 11, what surprises may I encounter.

Thanks,

ano

Nov 7, 2022
tried something similar with h12dsi, win11 wouldnt boot, ran 2022 DC fine though!

16x64GB 3200

it could even run chrome! :D :D

DaTruAndi

Mar 10, 2023
tried something similar with h12dsi, win11 wouldnt boot, ran 2022 DC fine though!
Word - you kinda need that much memory for Chrome.
But that Windows 11 would not even boot is a bit sad. :(
Did the install try to go through though? Did you try Windows 11 Pro for Workstations?

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Word - you kinda need that much memory for Chrome.
But that Windows 11 would not even boot is a bit sad. :(
Did the install try to go through though? Did you try Windows 11 Pro for Workstations?
I can ask the tried vs not tried, I was outsourcing some labwork, and a coworker asked if he could play around with windows on some of the systems ;) I know he tried a lot of combos