Drive recommendation for pfSense

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Packages will include:
Squid Caching
Snort IDS
HAVP

All running on a D525 Supermicro Atom. Internet connection of 5/1Mbps. This is for a friends home office and will have 3 trusts, office, wireless, and house(wired). I was thinking a ~30GB SSD, but am unsure how much snort logs to the drive. TIA

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
<irrelevant response> No idea how to answer the Q, but I lol'd at the names "Squid" and "snort"...</irrelevant response>

P.S Nice "How-To" on Infiniband/Ubuntu... Thanks for compiling.

peace,

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Personally for that type of application I would just over provision and let the thing go. This is my Supermicro X7SPE-HF-D525 based pfSense config. Speed wise, that is going to be plenty. Big thing there is that you do not want to deal with ever needing to replace the drive. One thing I would advise against is using a USB drive for this.

apnar

Mar 5, 2011
I'd drop in any old laptop drive if you have one laying around. Performance is likely not a factor at all. The 30g SSD would be great if you have one already but may be overkill, although as Patrick says you don't want to worry about replacing it and the SSD may give you a longer life without any moving parts.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
This will be all new parts so nothing is going to be reused. He is not a very computer savvy and keeps hardware for a long time(his current workstation and server are 6 years old this month), so reliability is first priority.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The real reason I like the SSD is just because you have someone that might move the box and crash a drive. The "good" news is that snort logs are not something that are 100% necessary for functioning Internet access.