Does Supermicro H11SSL-I have a built-in speaker? Shouldn't it beep during startup?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Hey, I'm trying to put together an Epyc 7551P and a Supermicro H11SSL-I, both were purchased used on eBay, and I haven't gotten it to post yet, so I'm pretty concerned.

I've read that the amount of torque you apply to the chip socket and/or heatsink is kind of fiddly, so I've removed and re-seated the heatsink after taking pains to count the number of revolutions I made screwing the holder down (trying not to make too tight, but even). The problem is, I don't have the torque wrench AMD includes with the processors, I should probably get one and eliminate this as a potential issue ASAP.

But let's start even more simple than potential torque issues: Shouldn't this thing beep?

The block diagram says there's a speaker, SP1, which I have located on the motherboard. But I'm not only not getting a POST on the monitor, I don't hear any beeps. ALL my other SM boards beep when turning on, whether happy or not.

The seller said it doesn't have a speaker and doesn't beep, but that surprises me after owning at least 8 SM boards, this would be the first one that never beeps during startup.

Thanks!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I've read that the amount of torque you apply to the chip socket and/or heatsink is kind of fiddly, so I've removed and re-seated the heatsink after taking pains to count the number of revolutions I made screwing the holder down (trying not to make too tight, but even). The problem is, I don't have the torque wrench AMD includes with the processors, I should probably get one and eliminate this as a potential issue ASAP.
Amd puts tape over the threadripper logo on these wrenches in their "how to install epyc cpus" videos :D
I don't think you need them: use your fingertips, as soon as you feel the resistance (it goes like from 1 to 10 instantly), stop screwing.

I think more important than the torque is the sequence of the screws (should be documented in the mainboard and heatsink manual)
But let's start even more simple than potential torque issues: Shouldn't this thing beep?

The block diagram says there's a speaker, SP1, which I have located on the motherboard. But I'm not only not getting a POST on the monitor, I don't hear any beeps. ALL my other SM boards beep when turning on, whether happy or not.

The seller said it doesn't have a speaker and doesn't beep, but that surprises me after owning at least 8 SM boards, this would be the first one that never beeps during startup.
Yes, it should beep.

If the mainboard doesn't post after removing the mainboards battery, disconnecting the system from power and using the jumper configuration for resetting the bios than it's a dead board.

Reactions: AveryFreeman

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Amd puts tape over the threadripper logo on these wrenches in their "how to install epyc cpus" videos :D
I don't think you need them: use your fingertips, as soon as you feel the resistance (it goes like from 1 to 10 instantly), stop screwing.

I think more important than the torque is the sequence of the screws (should be documented in the mainboard and heatsink manual)

Yes, it should beep.

If the mainboard doesn't post after removing the mainboards battery, disconnecting the system from power and using the jumper configuration for resetting the bios than it's a dead board.
Do you think there's any chance it could be the processor and not the board, or would it not power up at all?

it powers on, it has the one blinking light all the time for the IPMI, and then the other one on the board that illuminates solid when the board powers on. I have what look like working NICs when plugged in, but I can't find an IPMI device anywhere on my network

I wonder why the seller would tell me it's a silent SM board (?) maybe they just don't know any better.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
it powers on, it has the one blinking light all the time for the IPMI, and then the other one on the board that illuminates solid when the board powers on. I have what look like working NICs when plugged in, but I can't find an IPMI device anywhere on my network
Do you have a monitor with vga?

I find it hard to answer the other question when ipmi is not working or accessible :D

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I wonder why the seller would tell me it's a silent SM board (?) maybe they just don't know any better.
we had a similar thread with that mobo cpu combination, afaik the LRDIMM 2133 won't worked.
the beeper is driven by x86 BIOS code, no working CPU, no beep.
on the Supermicro H11SSL-I is a header JD1 with pins 6/7 for external speaker.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
yes, become a professional and buy one :cool:

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
we had a similar thread with that mobo cpu combination, afaik the LRDIMM 2133 won't worked.

on the Supermicro H11SSL-I is a header JD1 with pins 6/7 for external speaker.
Well, I have both RDIMMs and LRDIMMs. I have tried both. I can try another brand RDIMM. All 3 sets of (L)RDIMMs were working pulls from my SM X10SRL-F boards, 2Rx4 @ 2133MHz.

RolloZ170 said:
But the question is, if the CPU isn't working, why would it even turn on? I don't think it would power up. At least, my prior Intel boards wouldn't.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
But the question is, if the CPU isn't working, why would it even turn on?
this action is independend of CPU code execution.
have you waited long enough ? memory training & check can take a minute after power off.
All 3 sets of (L)RDIMMs were working pulls from my SM X10SRL-F boards, 2Rx4 @ 2133MHz.
its EPYC not intel. other user reported incompatibilities with some frq. and or LRDIMM type, he changed to RDIMM 2666 and it worked.

Reactions: AveryFreeman