does gigabit media converters affect performance or difficultly manage?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Recently, we decide to upgrade our network infrastructure. We have fiber between our idfs and our mdf , but as we have found that fiber core switches is more expensive than copper.So, my question is" compared to having a fiber switch, is there any performance (sunch as bandwidth, latency, etc.) impact or have a difficult management? because we plan to use a copper core switch and use media converters to connect them to fiber to the closets." pls give me some help, thanks!

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
I don't know that they are a negative performance impact, but without a doubt we find them to be less reliable than anything else in the typical wiring closet. I see using a fiber SFP in a switch as a much better solution than an external media converter.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
I don't know that they are a negative performance impact, but without a doubt we find them to be less reliable than anything else in the typical wiring closet. I see using a fiber SFP in a switch as a much better solution than an external media converter.
what about the cost if using a sfp, and sfp should use the same brand with the switch?

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
You are talking base-T copper not SFP+ DAC copper right?
pls forgive my less knowledge about this field, if i use the sfp+dac copper, should i just use a sfp+ in stead of a media converter? or other ideas? give me more details about it if u r specialize it.thanks Jeggs101!

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
So you have fiber between locations already and want to avoid switches with the SFP+ ports is what I am hearing? We do that for some of our gear at a remote field site, solely for noise reduction (wind turbine). We don't push them enough for performance, but we have had at least one or two media converters fail on us. I would rather go fiber all the way through to reduce complexity and a point of failure. Since this isn't a home setup, sometimes you should pay to reduce pain in the long run. :)

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
For work, we only use Cisco in Cisco. At home, I use a wide variety of whatever I can afford and works out. Sometimes this means days / weeks of issues, and sometimes it results in gear going to the shelf because it just didn't work out as I hoped it would. For a business I wouldn't mess around unless you had resources (network team) that understand the issues, and management that accepts the risks for the cost savings. If you have fiber between the locations, buy the switches with the SFP or SFP+ slots you need, buy the SFP or SFP+ modules supported by the switch manufacturer for the type of fiber you have installed, call it a day and a job done right.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
ok, i see, it sounds like a maintenance issue if i insist on my idea.as you said, it is not a wise method for long run, i had to consider my cost so that i will evaluate it according to your advises again.anyway,thanks you very much,friends!