Does anyone know 40+ Gbps RoCe V2 Nic below $100 ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hyltcasper

May 1, 2020
Hi, I found ConnectX 3 cards from very cheap $100 in local seller.

But I need RoCe V2, only pro has the feature.

These cards are looking same. What happens if we flash pro firmware to ConnectX 3. Does it works like 3 pro?

Edit: I am looking a card with RoCe V2 40+ Gbps below $150 including shipping.

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The conntect-x3 is using a slightly newer controller/asic.
Some people already tried to flash the pro firmware without succes, the cards didn't work after the flashing.

hyltcasper

May 1, 2020
The conntect-x3 is using a slightly newer controller/asic.
Some people already tried to flash the pro firmware without succes, the cards didn't work after the flashing.
Thank you for quick information. What about connectx 4 firmware?
And $100 for a CX3 is not cheap... those go for $20 or less if you're willing to crossflash
I don't know what is crossflash. Which card go for $20 and where? I have the first day in this area.

Can I get Nvme-oF and Roce v2 in $100 budget? I want to setup all NVME storage clusters with Microsoft S2D.
Or is the Roce v1 enough for that?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Then the important question is what S2D requires ... RoCE v1 (Cx3) or 2 (CX3 pro or newer).
The o/c it depends on the speed you want...

hyltcasper

May 1, 2020
Then the important question is what S2D requires ... RoCE v1 (Cx3) or 2 (CX3 pro or newer).
The o/c it depends on the speed you want...
S2d doc recommends iwarp.
Mentions roce and not mentions v2
Kepler 47 azure hci project is build on thunderbolt 3.
Some certified supermicro azure hci servers has mellanox ConnectX 4
I don't know which is better

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Better is what fits the budget i guess...

IWarp is a Chelsio implementation which works without switch support.
RoCE usually needs switches to support this (not sure how it is with host 2 host but might work)

You're not the first to try this though...

Most seem to utilize the Pro's though.

Totally depends on the budget in the end (newer might be better supported, older is cheaper but potentially more complicated to setup)

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
IWarp is a Chelsio implementation which works without switch support.
IWarp is the official, standard implementatation for rdma over ethernet, but nobody except Chelsio implemented it. Not even intel who helped to create that standard :D

kapone

May 23, 2015
- Microsoft/SMB3 RDMA works great over RoCE v2.
- ConnectX-3 Pro RoCE v2 works great...even without official switch support (i.e. DCB and PFC. Hell, I'm running RoCE v2 through the ICX 6610 with no issues)
- Connect X-3 Non pro is a waste of time, if RoCE v2 is important to you. It'll never work.
- iWarp...once upon a time, there was Chelsio...and they came up with it...and then...it kinda died.

p.s. NVMEoF...all flash NVME storage clusters...S2D...and you're worried about the cost of Network Adapters?? Your storage is gonna be 100x the cost of nics.

hyltcasper

May 1, 2020
- Microsoft/SMB3 RDMA works great over RoCE v2.
- ConnectX-3 Pro RoCE v2 works great...even without official switch support (i.e. DCB and PFC. Hell, I'm running RoCE v2 through the ICX 6610 with no issues)
- Connect X-3 Non pro is a waste of time, if RoCE v2 is important to you. It'll never work.
- iWarp...once upon a time, there was Chelsio...and they came up with it...and then...it kinda died.

p.s. NVMEoF...all flash NVME storage clusters...S2D...and you're worried about the cost of Network Adapters?? Your storage is gonna be 100x the cost of nics.
I don't know I need RoCe V2 or not need. Do i need a switch i dont know that too. I already obtained nvme disks. I just need to mirror disks between clusters to get high available virtual machines. I prefer S2D because I have free Microsoft Datacenter licence.

My budget is $150 including shipping per pic. Shipping is very expensive to Turkey except from China.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Did you change the title of this thread?
825110-B21 can be had for ~$100, it's a hpe branded connect-x 4 single port edr/100GBE vpi nic

kapone

May 23, 2015
I don't know I need RoCe V2 or not need. Do i need a switch i dont know that too. I already obtained nvme disks. I just need to mirror disks between clusters to get high available virtual machines. I prefer S2D because I have free Microsoft Datacenter licence.

My budget is $150 including shipping per pic. Shipping is very expensive to Turkey except from China.
That's like saying...I want to go from NY to LA...but I don't know if I want to fly/drive/walk/crawl...

Each method (fly/drive/walk/crawl) has it's own intricacies, pros/cons and details that need to be worked out. Just because you have a free license of Window Server Datacenter Edition doesn't mean anything either.

Do you understand what it takes to setup S2D properly?

Network Adapters are only one component of that. There's a lot more to it than just buying NICs.

hyltcasper

May 1, 2020
That's like saying...I want to go from NY to LA...but I don't know if I want to fly/drive/walk/crawl...

Each method (fly/drive/walk/crawl) has it's own intricacies, pros/cons and details that need to be worked out. Just because you have a free license of Window Server Datacenter Edition doesn't mean anything either.

Do you understand what it takes to setup S2D properly?

Network Adapters are only one component of that. There's a lot more to it than just buying NICs.
Did you change the title of this thread?
825110-B21 can be had for ~$100, it's a hpe branded connect-x 4 single port edr/100GBE vpi nic
I decided to go with RoCe V2, I changed thread title after this.