Docking Stations, KVM, HUBs...problems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Trying to figure out what combination of docking stations & potentially a KVM that I would need.

What I have
1x HP Laptop (work) with docking station
1x MacBook Pro 13" Retina (non-work)
3x Dell 2009WFP (DVI & VGA)

I have my HP Docking station Connected to all of the VGA Inputs
I have my MBP connected to the DVI ports (2x of them)

Currently in order to switch machines I am using the menu buttons on the two monitors to switch and i have to move all of my USB connections.

I am to the point where i am switching back and forth enough that its driving me crazy and I am trying to figure out a better way. And its annoying to have three monitors and only be able to use two of them on my MBP.

What I want is
Ability to use all three monitors on both my HP Docking Station & MBP (obviously not at the same time)
Not have to move USB connections...even a single USB Hub. Im going to stick all of this in a drawer to hide all the boxes, wires, etc.

How can I do this?

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I got one of those win 8.1 zboxes on the main site. I can now "dock" using remote pc or teamviewer. At under $200 they are cheaper than most kvm or dock solutions and low power.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I cant enable RDP on my work laptop or install teamview/logmein/etc.
I can RDP for basic things like email and Sharepoint, but our Operations domain has split tunneling disabled - so I have to physically log in to do anything work related. I work exclusively from home, so this makes this doubly-triply obnoxious. At one point I had a separate dual monitor setup for my work laptop, but having five monitors across two stations is ridiculously inefficient and very hot.

I tried using our VDI solution, but it's slow, cannot make effective use of the 4960 x 1600 of desktop real-estate available, and is crippled with a 2GB limitation on my network folder.

My current setup has a simple A/B DVI switch for my end monitors, and I use the internal input switch for my middle monitor to switch from DVI to DisplayPort. I have my work laptop plugged into a separate 1080p monitor. I never have my gaming rig turned on during the day (or never at all, really), so I think I need to get a 2-port KVM switch with Displayport ... I can use that to switch the middle monitor displayport input between gaming rig and laptop so I don't have to change desks when I need to jump on the Operations domain.

Last edited: