Docker Swarm management: Rancher, Shipyard, Portainer or other?

Discussion in 'Docker and Containers' started by Patrick, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

Rancher all the way.
    My setup is
    Rancher cluster on top of 4 to 6 Ubuntu 16.04 VM on top of Proxmox cluster.

By using
    Proxmox cli qm to deploy all the Ubuntu VMs, then Ansible to update , upgrade VMs, install docker, finally Rancher.
    Start to finish , may be 5 min to 10min ( just enough time to boil water for a cup of coffee )

Patrick likes this.
  3. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

One more point,
    With Rancher, you have choices and support : Cattle, Swarm , Kubernetes orchestration.
    I played with Swarm and Kubernetes on top of Rancher in the very early days but had not re-visited since Rancher went GA.
    It only takes few minutes ( few clicks ) to switch from Cattle to Swarm or Kubernetes.

I just settled on Rancher's Cattle orchestration for now.

T_Minus and Patrick like this.
  4. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I have been leaning Rancher, but I like the idea of using the native Docker Engine and swarm mode. I think you still cannot import existing swarms into Rancher. Not a huge deal since it is not setup but wondering if that is a safer way to go. I was using flocker but that seems less exciting now.

5. nitrobass24

nitrobass24 Moderator

I have been spending most of my Saturday trying to get Rancher running on PhotonOS...quite frustrating.

6. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

I had spent countless hours to work with the stripped down"OS that build for docker" i.e. CoreOS , RancherOS.
    find out space in the wrong place in yml file would mean waste many hours.

In the end, I found a solution that worked for my lab , run docker on a full Ubuntu VM , manage by Ansible, on top of Proxmox for ease of snapshot , backup, and cloning.

Someday, I still wanting to make tiny OS auto deploy and fully configured to run docker.

Patrick and T_Minus like this.
  7. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Just fired up Portainer on the 4-node Swarm I used for the Docker Swarm Monero Mining:

90 seconds later I can see all my services and all of the different nodes. That is very cool for basic management

upload_2017-1-30_13-14-17.png

You can even run it to manage the local node by using:
    Code:
    docker run -d -p 9000:9000 -v "/var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock" portainer/portainer

eva2000 likes this.
  8. eva2000

eva2000 Active Member

Just tried Rancher and Portainer for the first time definitely liking Portainer's easier setup :)

Thanks @Patrick for the heads up :)

upload_2017-3-8_21-4-28.png

9. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

Within the new Rancher v1.5.0 , you have option to us Portainer as your Swarm dashboard GUI

10. eroji

eroji Member

Portainer is quite nice and lightweight. Easy to install and works for standalone hosts, which is what I am using in my lab. However, I find it that it is limited in terms of what you can configure for creating containers and often time I need to hop onto the server to run them via command instead. The limitation seems to be that it interacts with the Docker API, which has deprecated an array of options otherwise available via CLI.

I have not yet tried Rancher or Shipyard. After some quick read up on them, they seem to be more focused on swarm based configuration, although Portainer can handle that too. Do guys typically run swarm setups in their labs?

11. nitrobass24

nitrobass24 Moderator

For me moving to Swarm Mode would be a requirement. My biggest hangup with Portainers Swarm Management is that I cannot launch services from there and still need to drop to the CLI.

12. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

13. eroji

eroji Member

I am trying out Rancher after reading the article, and I am having some trouble understanding why after I add the host to Rancher, and enable Access Control via AD, the second user I login with does not see the host I added and is prompted to add the host again? Does this mean that each user, to be able to manage a specific host will need to run the authorization docker command once?

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  14. msvirtualguy

msvirtualguy Active Member

I just setup Portainer on my Nutanix CE Cluster, just one Docker Host right now. The only thing i'm having issues with is provisioning Docker Volumes using our DVP, still have to create them manually from the Docker Host but his works with DDC.

Definitely like Portainer for ease of setup and usability, goes right along with our Nutanix story. Just need to figure out how I can get our plugin working for persistent Volume creation.

15. nitrobass24

nitrobass24 Moderator

Not sure what I am doing wrong, but when I go into 'Services' in Portainer and attempt to add a service, nothing happens.

I fill out the details, click "Create Service" button. I get a notification that says "service created". But it's not.

Code:
    [root@CentOS-Docker2 stephen]# docker service ls
    ID            NAME       MODE        REPLICAS  IMAGE
    e7oq9218rrjj  portainer  replicated  1/1       portainer/portainer:latest

Starting it from the CLI works fine
    Code:
    docker service create \
    -p 6789:6789 \
    --mount type=bind,dst=/data,src=/mnt/docker/nzbget/ \
    --mount type=bind,dst=/downloads,src=/mnt/download_temp/ \
    linuxserver/nzbget

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  16. fatiha

fatiha New Member

hi i have a question about this : -H unix:///var/run/docker.sock i couldn't undrestand what's this parametre for,and why do we need it,
    another question is that can i use -v instead of --mount type=volume when i creat a portainer service ??

17. RandomChance

RandomChance New Member

18. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

Me thinks since the industry is going full in on K8s we should just learn that. As much of a pain and such that it is.

19. RandomChance

RandomChance New Member

Yeah, I con't really argue against that, I just wish I didn't have to have the Linux master node - my work env is 100% windows, and air-gapped to boot. Running a go program like nomad is so much easier lol.

gigatexal likes this.
  20. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

The new 100GbE to 50GbE cables just came in for a small Kubernetes cluster we are setting up for the next generation of this.

gigatexal likes this.