Do ProxMox have a console for installing Windows?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I need to setup a Windows server with SQL Server. I only use Linux and FreeBSD in my stack, but now I need a Windows server too. So I guess it is time to setup a virtualization server.

I've used Virtualbox earlier, but I struggle with poor performance. It feels like everything is 10x slower than it should be.

ProxMox looks like an awesome virtualization platform. Is it easy to install Windows with the web browser?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
It feels like everything is 10x slower than it should be.
Did you install the drivers (=the virtualbox equivalent to "vmware tools")? I remeber that windows server 2008 (not r2!) without drivers would use one core 90-100% all the time.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I haven't tried Windows specifically, but it does have a web based console I have used for various other installs. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work with Windows.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
You can setup windows using the IDE mode for HDD and E1000 for NIC, then install the virtio drivers and switch to high performance SCSI & VirtIO NIC. Web console in Proxmox is pretty easy to use.

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
I think it is relatively easy. All web based. Just took me some time to adjust to the Proxmox environment. For my first vm, I was able to complete setup of Windows Server 2016 on my own but performance metrics wasn't right. Then I followed their video Install Windows 2016 Server on Proxmox VE (same applies to Windows 10) and is perfect. It's a robot voice but I prefer it over a heavy accent.