Do I need drivers for PCIe SSDs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thy.flesh.consumed

Mar 30, 2017
Dumb question, but I want to know before I put my money down.

I want to buy a PCIe 4x SSD to host my Virtual Machines on Windows 10/Server 2016. I've been looking at stuff like Micron p420m, Fusion IO Drive, Virident Flashmax II, or Intel 750. They all look fairly attractive, but since this is all totally new to me I just want to make sure I won't have any problems using these.

My plan is is to put these in a Ryzen 1800x rig running either Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016. I also do not plan to use these PCIe SSDs as a boot drive, they'll be second drive in a system used solely as VM storage. Do I need drivers for these if I use Windows 10/Server 2016? Micron for example does not have Win10/Server2016 drivers for p420m. Anything else I should know about? Or is it plug and plan as long as I use new modern OS?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Yes and no.
Some of the drives you have mentioned are not nvme devices (iodrive, flashmax). These devices are like hba/raid controllers and might need drivers from the vendors and can't be used as boot devices in bios/uefi.
Nvme devices can use generic drivers shipped with windows or linux, but perform better with optimized drivers from the vendors eg intel 750.

thy.flesh.consumed

Mar 30, 2017
Thanks. I guess that makes sense. Of my list (Micron p420m, Fusion IO, Virident Flashmax II, Intel 750) it looks like Intel 750 is the only drive with NMVe interface. And it looks like windows support for the p420m/FusionIO/Flashmax is nonexistent on Win10/Server 2016. Makes me one sad bunny.

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
If you go for any intel pcie ssd and you want to use vmware esxi, make sure to install the intel driver as it makes the pcie perform a lot better than with the standard vmware driver. :)