Do I need a subscription to use ILO (or IPMI)

Discussion in 'Linux Admins, Storage and Virtualization' started by webuser1200, Apr 29, 2018.

1. webuser1200

webuser1200 Member

I have a compute farm that I mange with about 15 HP servers. I've been manually managing these servers via ssh and that has been working well. I've recently had one server with a blinking red heartbeat light and also a hard drive failure on a raid (which was caught because of the loud beeping sound).

I'm looking to upgrade my servers and would really like to get ILO or IPMI working so I can remotely get system stats and power cycle these servers. Would really nice to also get KVM access but that is not a requirement.

So my question is ILO require a subscription to use? Can I do a system reset on the ILO module and configure and use it?

What about IPMI from supermicro?

2. BlueLineSwinger

BlueLineSwinger Active Member

Not sure on the HP stuff, but I do know that Supermicro's IPMI works out-of-box and does not require a license/subscription, and IPMI firmware updates are readily available for download at no charge. Exception: To be able to update the BIOS via IPMI requires a license (~$20 per machine, IIRC).

3. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

It’s not really clear if it’s HP, but if it is HPE at least on all the not lowest end machines iLo is free to use but not free for the advanced features such as screen sharing. All the logging and reporting still works though FoC.

Supermicro essentially all is free except remote firmware update.

4. webuser1200

webuser1200 Member

Current servers are HP DL160 G6 but will be upgrading to either HP DL360 G8 or Supermicro

Not sure if they are HPE or HP

5. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

HP is the only combined company, HP Enterprise or HPE is the spilt part of the company that deals with servers.

Same thing