DIY "Redundant" DC power supply?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Hey all,

Has anyone ever used a DC automatic transfer switch, like this or this, to provide some level of redundancy to something that has only a single DC input (like a low-end/SOHO switch or router that doesn't have dual power supplies)?

For some background,

I have a small wall-mount rack for my network core, consisting of:

* Dell R210ii running OPNSense
* Brocade ICX6610-48p w/ dual PSUs (most of the network)
* Hasivo 5-port 2.5Gbps RJ45 PoE + 2x10Gbps SFP+ switch (2.5Gbps Wifi6 APs)
* Comcast XB7 gateway in bridge mode

These are all plugged into a 8-port PDU (it was an APC9211, but I replaced its guts with a modern ESP32 microcontroller + an 8-way relay board, running ESPHome), which is in turn plugged into a rackmount APC UPS.

Never one to leave a working setup along, I was thinking about the PDU situation earlier. If I ever want to update the firmware on the ESP32 in the PDU, that will cause a reset, which will cause the relays to flap and all the devices to reset (and my internet connection to drop for a few minutes).

With the Brocade, this is easy to avoid - plug each PSU into a different UPS/PDU. For my OPNSense box, that's fairly straightforward as well - I can upgrade it to something that has dual PSUs as well. For the Comcast XB7 and Hasivo, though, they each have only a single DC input. If I used two DC adapters for each, wired through one of those switches I linked above, that would in theory allow me to connect each one to two different PDUs and achieve some level of redundancy and allow me to power cycle a PDU without breaking my internet connection (even if they do ultimately come from the same AC source).

Seems like this would work in theory...just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this before, and how it went.