DIY NAS Build - CWWK J6413 + Jonsbo N2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tmoll_

Aug 2, 2023
Hey everyone,

First off, thanks to the guys in the other forum thread talking about the CWWK J6413! It was super helpful to see photos of the board before pulling the trigger on one.

Second, I did a write up of my build with the Jonsbo N2 and the CWWK "Topton" motherboard. Feel free to use this thread for questions, comments, angry remarks :)

slidermike

May 7, 2023
Tom,
A couple of things.
#1 Great job with the write up & picture tutorial.
#2 You have to tell us what NAS OS you are going with :)
#3 I only point this out because I would want someone to tell me and it is always easier to see it when someone else does it. See the attached screen capture.woops.png

Looking forward to hearing about the NAS OS adventure, transfer rates, heat at load etc..

tmoll_

Aug 2, 2023
Thanks! I intentionally didn't go into much detail about the OS I'm using because most people won't want to run their own Ubuntu instance and manually setup ZFS. Personally, since I work in SRE, it's not a huge deal but I figure for most people TrueNAS or Unraid would cover 99% of the usecases.

Also let me fix that typo :)

Reactions: slidermike

Tzvia

Sep 5, 2022
OMG I was just looking into that very motherboard, to replace my aging Superrmicro MDB-X10SL7-F & XEON and lower the power draw for sure... Case looks like a good choice for it as well... Good write-up, really gave me a good look at what I am kicking around... I''ll be using Truenas and 5 drives (just 4 in a Z2 and one other to RSYNC to.)

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
Very awesome Thomas! Thanks for putting the build log of this exact combo.
Since you have both units on hand, if you have the time, can you check two things for me?
1) Is there any place in the chassis to mount 2x 2.5" drives? (either by design or with a drill) I was thinking of using them as OS drives, then use P1600X optane drives in the M.2 slots for a special vdev.
2) Does the board report the speed of the PCIe slot. Was thinking of throwing an HBA into that slot for the OS drives.

Whenever you have time for an update on thermals and performance at idle and under load, totally post a link to the update here also!

Also loving your RPi's colo-facility. Throw a UPS in the mix and you basically have a Tier 1 DC! (you could even add another colo in another room for multi-site HA)

serpro69

Nov 2, 2022
Wow, this is amazing! Thanks a lot for sharing and including all the details
I'm looking to do something similar and have been eyeing these boards just a few days ago on Ali. Although I'd prefer having 6 drive bays total I will likely still use your build for inspiration.