DIY Air filter boxes / fan enclosures (pics)

Discussion in 'DIY and Makers Spot' started by funkywizard, Mar 12, 2018.

1. funkywizard

funkywizard mmm.... bandwidth.

Oh just realized you said careful --cutting-- the filters. Won't need to do that thankfully; the window opening is about perfect for the sizes I'm dealing with.

2. marcoi

marcoi Active Member

i wonder if you got somethign like vornado fan to push the air from one intake window over hardward to out take window?
    293 Heavy Duty Large Air Circulator – Vornado

Maybe put it on top of the server rack on the back wall and aim it in the middle of the server rack area.

3. funkywizard

Very nice, especially the charcoal filter.

4. Godfr33

Godfr33 Member

this thing will push itself across the floor!! 35% 5w 100% 35w 45w through charcoal scrubber. It will also completely eliminates all of those potential VOC's in that room of yours!!!

looking at your set-up a 10" would be my choice!!

5. funkywizard

Yeah, I think with "hot air rises", and my window being no more than the middle of the rack height wise, hot air accumulates more than it might otherwise. I'm thinking of using some leftover 200mm fans that are very low power, low pressure, high(ish) airflow, to see if I can address that without using loads of power.

If that doesn't work too well, I have a couple options. First, still have the boxfans but they use a good 120 watts each. Second, I've got quite a few 120mm noctua fans I'm not using. They only use a couple watts each so power use is not much of a concern there.

Unfortunately, using a wire rack instead of a server rack, it's hard to make sure the air goes where it can be most productive. I also suspect my exhaust fans need to be sealed better to prevent possible recirculation of the same air into and out of the window which is pointless.

6. Godfr33

Godfr33 Member

I used a 6" duct noise reducer modified of course to make a cheaper version of this.

Attached Files:

funkywizard likes this.
  7. Godfr33

Godfr33 Member

and to boot remote temp/humidity control, PWM and relay through a particle photon modified with an Arduino and Rasp pi 3

Attached Files:

funkywizard and marcoi like this.
  8. marcoi

marcoi Active Member

I would use some cardboard on the wire racks to block air from going all over the place. Might also be good to put some cardboard in between. see my crappy illustration below.

upload_2018-3-12_14-16-44.png

funkywizard likes this.
  9. Godfr33

Godfr33 Member

currently building a modified version of this with my fan setup posted above.

it will be fully contained as stacks of vertical to help in heat proto.jpg

Using standoffs/rivets to replace welding, as the welding is overkill

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    funkywizard likes this.
  10. funkywizard

Good idea. I think I have some plexiglass I can use for that. Would like to avoid making this more of a fire hazard than it already is. : )

11. marcoi

marcoi Active Member

reminds me of clothing store where you buy stuff off the rack.
    let me know when you discount them haha

Otherwise that is a cool idea.(Pun intended) how much is the build out costing you? What are you end goals with your tunnel system?

12. marcoi

marcoi Active Member

good point, i only though of cardboard since i get so many package from amazon i been recycling the cardboard into other things.

Latest is i made a wall to attach some sound foam to to place behind my rack.

13. Godfr33

Godfr33 Member

Tried those filters once..Frankly there are as useful as their cost!!

I looked like I was attacked by a hive of killer bees after I cut those to size! NASTY

I have a 1 1/2 year old so I looked at building the most efficient/Healthy!

I kid you not..I moved the diaper pal near the scrubber and ZERO stink. Guess the Grow guys know how to rid smells, particulates etc on the cheap. All props go to them, as they are now interested in exchanging ideas due to the similarities of our projects!

14. Godfr33

Godfr33 Member

Maybe I'll go to a store going out of business sale! I remember Kohl's had tons of those types of racks for sale. If it works I could cut to size

Crypto has been very good to me so I'm not really adding prices up. Plus I live work in San Diego so nothing is cheap!!

15. Godfr33

Godfr33 Member

Pictures of my crypto lab! Occupying the wall of my Son's room.

LOL this isn't even my computer desk!

0EF063A3-9B99-4BE0-A3BD-088D0AF55360.jpg

Attached Files:

16. funkywizard

Oh man, Lexan -- that's the good stuff.

17. Godfr33

Godfr33 Member

If you need cheap plastic to play with, Costco sells those clear floor saving desk chair protectors that cut up nice! Thick too.

Lexan because it needs to contort/flex enough for some of my needs. Also the best thing I have bought recently is a cordless Dremel.

18. Godfr33

Godfr33 Member

Although, actually the good stuff is in the Budweiser can! Surprised you missed that.

19. pc-tecky

pc-tecky Member

Thinking.. yeah, never a good idea for me as it usually means one more idea I just gotta try and a little less money in my pocket.. Matthias Wandel, a wood worker out of Canada, built his own custom air filter for his workshop area with hammock filter cloth (Air cleaner with homemade pleated filter). The other thing that comes to mind is layers. A pre-filter mesh screen to keep all the bugs and larger objects out, fiber glass air filters, 25" x 20" x2" furnace filter, and/or maybe even a HEPA filter. (And just how clean do you want this air supply to be? :p)

30" x 60" cut to fit 3M Filtrete Hammock Filter
    - (the suggestions on Amazon has 115V 3.3/2.2A blower, hammock cloth, and large HEPA filter for ~$370 ATM)