Disable Datto Call Home on IPMI on Asrock Rack D2143D8UM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

orty

May 11, 2023
Bend, Oregon
Long time lurker, minimal poster, apologize in advance if I fouled up a rule or three.

I acquired an Asrock Rack D2143D8UM motherboard from our recycle pile at work (we're a Datto reseller). Using in my home lab as a server, running unraid on it, running great compared to the old Xeon E3-1240 I was running. I was able to acquire and flash the Asrock Rack BIOS from this thread, but I was unable to flash the BMC/IMPI firmware on that page, as it gives me a Image Verification Unsucessfull error for one reason or another.

Honestly, don't care about getting on the latest IPMI, but I'm hoping getting that stock IPMI flash working will fix another issue I'm seeing: The IPMI is calling home to one of the following domains every 8 seconds or so:

dlt-rly-tracker-1.datto.com
dlt-rly-tracker-2.datto.com
dlt-rly-tracker-3.datto.com
dlt-rly-tracker-4.datto.com
dlt-rly-tracker-5.datto.com
dlt-rly-tracker-6.datto.com

I've blocked them at the DNS level (pihole) but I'd love to kill off that calling-home entirely. My guess is getting the stock Asrock IPMI on there would fix that. Any thoughts on getting the IPMI flashed properly and/or disabling that call home would be great.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
FW is in soic sockets. buy ch341a(As- or Neo- programmer software) and flash new FW.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
you need a SOP16 -> DIP8 Adapter because the ch341a can only flash 8 pin chips.
you buy a new flash chip, flash the new FW in it.
then you replace the original chip with the new one.

Reactions: piranha32

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
In the past (d1541d4u-2t8r aka oct-1541d4u), you were able to just flash the Asrock Rack firmware from the webinterface.

You can find more info in this thread (specifically firmware files, but also a comment suggesting that you can't do it via webinterface):
EDIT: Sry, I missed reading your second paragraph.... :eek:

Anyway, I suggest you also just configure the network that the IPMI is on to not have any internet access, there really shouldn't be any need for this.

orty

May 11, 2023
Bend, Oregon
Anyway, I suggest you also just configure the network that the IPMI is on to not have any internet access, there really shouldn't be any need for this.
Yeah, I'm leaning just disabling the interface entirely, as I would rarely need it and would rather not have the thing checking in all the time or having to block it on pihole. Programming an IPMI chip sounds a bit freaky to me when I'm using the thing and it's working otherwise. Thanks just the same!

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Isolating the board's IPMI from internet is a very good idea, but programming the flash can be a good opportunity to gain some new experience.
It does look intimidating, but once you understand how to do it, it turns out to be a rather simple operation. The key to success is to not blow up your good flash. Having the flash chip in a socket is very convenient, because you can get an identical blank chip, pull the old one, put in a safe place packed in an antistatic bag, and insert the new one flashed with the new bios. Take a lot of pictures on the way to make sure that you can check orientation of the original chip (very important). Also, make sure to use an antistatic wrist strap (wired! And connected to the ground plane on the board).
If you observe the basic safety precautions, the board should be safe, and you can revert to the old bios by installing the OG chip.

Reactions: RolloZ170

orty

May 11, 2023
Bend, Oregon
Oh it does sound like something I would like to try, but don't even know where to start. Where do I acquire the chip? How do I remove the chip from the motherboard? Is there a tutorial around somewhere for this sort of thing?