Dimm based flash memory

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
What, nothing about performance in there? LOL.

Can someone more in the know about hardware specifics explain if the FLASH will be faster on the memory than SATA, or PCIE?

Seems pretty awesome for a 'seamless integration' of an insane cache layer if it works as they say.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
What, nothing about performance in there? LOL.

Can someone more in the know about hardware specifics explain if the FLASH will be faster on the memory than SATA, or PCIE?
The bus technically is capable of higher bandwidth. It also sits closer on a logical layer to the CPU, I expect lower latency. I like to view these products as a RAM disk with PLP - assuming it does have PLP. The use cases are esoteric in my opinion. Especially with Intel/Micron XPoint products on the horizon.

Seems pretty awesome for a 'seamless integration' of an insane cache layer if it works as they say.
The motherboard will need a modified BIOS for them to work, I believe.

Last edited:

Diavuno

@T_Minus
Typically Flash is limited by the BUS is sites on.

• SATA 1 - 150 MB/s
  • SATA2 - 300 MB/s
  • SATA3 - 600 MB/s
  • SAS-1: 300 MB/s
  • SAS-2: 600 MB/s
  • SAS-3: 1200 MB/s
  • PCI-E (NVMe)
  • v1.x (2.5 GT/s):
    • 250 MB/s (×1)
    • 4 GB/s (×16)
  • v2.x (5 GT/s):
    • 500 MB/s (×1)
    • 8 GB/s (×16)
  • v3.0 (8 GT/s):
    • 985 MB/s (×1)
    • 15.75 GB/s (×16)
  • v4.0 (16 GT/s):
    • 1969 MB/s (×1)
    • 31.51 GB/s (×16)

DDR4 is 11GB/s or higher PER CHANNEL easy to get quad channel up to 60/70 GB/s

@neo I'm guessing it is PLP.... the Dimm has a power connector on the top (similar to a DOM )

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Here's another DRAM based flash storage - DDR3 ST-MRAM in a m.2 form factor. Just released by Everspin & Aupera

William

May 7, 2015
Its so much about speed. With these kits you can double the capacity of your RAM load out on a system and from what I am told at a cheaper cost.

The pictured system has 8x 250GB modules installed... that's 2TB of storage that acts like RAM. Diablo was all about this from the start with the kits they have but tried for the Storage factor first, this worked very well on DDR3 systems, but on DDR4 platforms current RAM modules caught up to latency factors. Now they are targeting the RAM aspect.

Reactions: T_Minus and b3nz0n8