EU Digital Emporium GmbH - HGST Renewed/Recertified 10TB SATA for ~€100

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
While I am not 100% sure, it seems 10TB drives for about €100 is a pretty neat deal. The seller appears on multiple Amazon websites around the EU.
There are some 8TB drives with ~5 year warranties, some of it is also marked as 'fulfilled by Amazon' which probably means you get a bit more protection.

Example listings:

(DE) https://www.amazon.de/-/en/HGST-Ult...KMFR9&qid=1701556399&s=merchant-items&sr=1-11

(NL) WD HGST Ultrastar He10 10TB Internal Hard Drive HUH721010ALE601 / 0F27468 3.5in HDD SATA 6Gb/s (Refurbished)

I'm about to buy a bunch myself, just to see if they are any good.

Browsing around in Amazon's awful UI it seems there are multiple variations available, and as usual both listed as 'by Amazon' and directly from the seller.

The specs at https://documents.westerndigital.co...c500-series/data-sheet-ultrastar-dc-hc510.pdf suggest the difference between the models so far is the HUH721010ALE601 drives have SED and the HUH721010ALE604 drives only do Secure Erase. The might also have the power disable pin, so not all backplanes are happy with them, on the other hand some listings suggest a SATA-power-to-SATA-power cable is provided with the drive which at least allows you to use them with power cables.

Edit: It appears I'm just late to the party. The address on the EU pages is from a German company that is at the same address as 'bell-it', and the images (after a reverse image search) appear on the Canadian Amazon as well as on eBay. But reviews indicate the drives are always fine and just the power disable pin is sometimes an issue (because the adapters aren't always included).

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
For US/NA this isn't good deal at all.
on ebay
8TB SAS3 4Kn disks cost like 40-60usd.
10TB SAS3 4Kn disks cost like 70-90usd.

The argument with warranty, ehh.
They will most likely not fail for another 10 years or more.
(i have around 12x hgst sas3 4kn 8tb disks from 2014/15, they are all in pristine condition while being up 24x7 since.)

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
For US/NA this isn't good deal at all.
on ebay
8TB SAS3 4Kn disks cost like 40-60usd.
10TB SAS3 4Kn disks cost like 70-90usd.

The argument with warranty, ehh.
They will most likely not fail for another 10 years or more.
(i have around 12x hgst sas3 4kn 8tb disks from 2014/15, they are all in pristine condition while being up 24x7 since.)
Oh, definitely! Even serverpartsdeals with the more consistent quality/customer support/supply would be a better deal, but like the prefix I put in the post and others mentioned, in the EU we usually can't have any of that good stuff because shipping and import duty would make it twice as expensive.

For some reason, the EU sellers seem to primarily dump SATA models here, not the SAS ones :( If I get the same drives but the SAS models they are about $136 per unit (so 4x136=~$544), but when I add shipping and import it ends up closer to €800 which is about $860! I think reshipping might shave some off of that, but you'd still get the import duty.

As for the drives, they are indeed very good quality. I have 6 of them running, when they came in they had an insane amount of hours but no bad sectors, UDMA errors or anything like it, and they are still going strong. I'm a bit bummed by WD taking over HGST but I imagine their production will be HGST-quality for at least a little while longer.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Id say the reason is labor costs and low shipping rates.
Cheaper to ship them to US/asia to process and resell from there than actualy do it in Europe.

Better to sell them out of those markets also.

At some point id expect it to be a bad look tho, with how much more of a focus being green gets.
To ship containers of drives halfway around the world and then export parts of it back is not very green.

Its a bit of a sigh when i import drives back to Europe from US and some have dc tags on them that are out of FR/NL.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Id say the reason is labor costs and low shipping rates.
Cheaper to ship them to US/asia to process and resell from there than actualy do it in Europe.

Better to sell them out of those markets also.

At some point id expect it to be a bad look tho, with how much more of a focus being green gets.
To ship containers of drives halfway around the world and then export parts of it back is not very green.

Its a bit of a sigh when i import drives back to Europe from US and some have dc tags on them that are out of FR/NL.
Also people are creatures of habit, USA has well developed market of used hardware so there is demand in States

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
... SATA models here, not the SAS ones :( ...

As for the drives, they are indeed very good quality. I have 6 of them running, when they came in they had an insane amount of hours but no bad sectors, UDMA errors or anything like it, and they are still going strong. I'm a bit bummed by WD taking over HGST but I imagine their production will be HGST-quality for at least a little while longer.

There are few differences in the protocol feature set with them being SATA and SAS. I think EU/UK has laws that prohibit selling devices without stand-by/power-saver, that are always-on. In SAS protocol there's no spindown per say. I'm sure EU is putting additional green tax or something on it.
In case of US the sata are more expensive than sas (as fewer people can actually use sas, and they typically do not work with normal desktops)

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I think EU/UK has laws that prohibit selling devices without stand-by/power-saver, that are always-on. In SAS protocol there's no spindown per say. I'm sure EU is putting additional green tax or something on it.
That would be no and no, would not apply to used hardware either.
(most countries have a tax on all storage devices regardless of type tho)

There is sas for sale but not same quantites as us market, same as for sata.

The main problem for EU is consumer laws, they cant sell them as is or 3-6month warranty type stuff.
They dont want to deal with replacing drives they sold a few years ago or to process/test/ship them at 20-30€/hr.

So majority just gets palletized and exported, then sold back out of countries with less rights and cheaper techs.

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
That would be no and no, would not apply to used hardware either.
(most countries have a tax on all storage devices regardless of type tho)

There is sas for sale but not same quantites as us market, same as for sata.

The main problem for EU is consumer laws, they cant sell them as is or 3-6month warranty type stuff.
They dont want to deal with replacing drives they sold a few years ago or to process/test/ship them at 20-30€/hr.

So majority just gets palletized and exported, then sold back out of countries with less rights and cheaper techs.
I thought this one applies to all electrical devices (i do recall when we ordered from dell some servers to our uk dc, they forced us to ship with power-saving mode settings enabled in bios.)

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
As for shipping with power management enabled: you'd be surprised how many companies have an amateur department that runs their stuff with just the defaults on (so not just default passwords but also default software, default settings etc) :rolleyes: I'm glad about the EU doing the power thing and the US mandating the password thing, because at least we get a little better overall when dealing with suppliers/customers/B2B when they don't really have a clue what they are doing.

yiveyserv

Dec 21, 2021
While I am not 100% sure, it seems 10TB drives for about €100 is a pretty neat deal. The seller appears on multiple Amazon websites around the EU.
There are some 8TB drives with ~5 year warranties, some of it is also marked as 'fulfilled by Amazon' which probably means you get a bit more protection.

Example listings:

(DE) https://www.amazon.de/-/en/HGST-Ult...KMFR9&qid=1701556399&s=merchant-items&sr=1-11

(NL) WD HGST Ultrastar He10 10TB Internal Hard Drive HUH721010ALE601 / 0F27468 3.5in HDD SATA 6Gb/s (Refurbished)

I'm about to buy a bunch myself, just to see if they are any good.

Browsing around in Amazon's awful UI it seems there are multiple variations available, and as usual both listed as 'by Amazon' and directly from the seller.

The specs at https://documents.westerndigital.co...c500-series/data-sheet-ultrastar-dc-hc510.pdf suggest the difference between the models so far is the HUH721010ALE601 drives have SED and the HUH721010ALE604 drives only do Secure Erase. The might also have the power disable pin, so not all backplanes are happy with them, on the other hand some listings suggest a SATA-power-to-SATA-power cable is provided with the drive which at least allows you to use them with power cables.

Edit: It appears I'm just late to the party. The address on the EU pages is from a German company that is at the same address as 'bell-it', and the images (after a reverse image search) appear on the Canadian Amazon as well as on eBay. But reviews indicate the drives are always fine and just the power disable pin is sometimes an issue (because the adapters aren't always included).

I bought two of these from amazon.se before christmas. Seller was Digital Emporium GmbH. First one was more or less DOA, it died after a few hours of use. The other one died last week. Did a return of the first one and it was approved. The other one I haven't sent in yet.

Not impressed.

• Haha
Reactions: pimposh and gb00s

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I have 6 of them, all working fine, 4 came with single digit hours, 2 had about 200 hours.

Josvooges

Apr 2, 2024
Bought 1 last week and had 0 hours on it. Still running fine without any errors till today. Ordered 2 more. Received within 2 days