Different version of xeon 2666 v3 ES or similar CPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gentlegy

Feb 20, 2018
Hello guys,

I'm new to buying an ES CPU. I have put the same question on the ES discussion thread and found no answer yet. So I decided to create a new thread to let more people could see. With regard to CPU, I am particularly interested in Xeon E5 2666 v3 ES for the balance between high frequency and # cores. This CPU is not shown ark of Intel, and it is deployed in Amazon AWS. My main usage of this CPU is to support a workstation for deep learning and my daily usage as well. I checked a lot of information through web and found out there are actually two late ES version 2.9G with:
1) stepping 2, revision M0;
2) stepping 2, revision R2.
The sellers for both all claim these CPUs are QS. I also saw some CPU-Z images for the "retailed" versions have supported both claims. Now, I am confused about which one is better or which one is the "real" QS actually? I know the retailed CPU could turbo boost to 3.5G, but I don't which one would has this capacity more likely.
Can someone have experience with these CPUs give me some guidance? Or other guys who could give me more choices about the Xeon E5 v3 or v4 CPUs based on your usage and my requirement? Besides using as deep learning machine, I am also considering to have two of them to build a web server in future. Any suggestion or idea would really appreciate it.

Best,
Yang

Marsh

May 12, 2013
How much the CPU cost?
Do you have the exact stepping ?
Ask for screenshot of CPUZ and HWinfo ?

My pair of E5-2666v3 QFSC is QS CPU, R2 version.
With the all-core-turbo bios , it would reached 3.3GHZ all cores.

E5-QFSC.PNG

gentlegy

Feb 20, 2018
Hi Marsh,

The sellers are from taobao.com. The ES version typically costs $250 - $300 and the retail version costs $3000-$4000. Check out these CPUZ the seller provided.
ES_M0.jpg ES_R2.png retail_M0.jpg retail_R2.png

Marsh

May 12, 2013
My choice,
Seller with the last picture of CPUZ is.
reasons is the CPU is R2 and the CPU description is showing E5-2666 v3 @2.9 ghz , turbo 3.5GHZ.
I bet it is the most expensive one of the bunch.

Second choice is R2 with turbo 3.3GHZ.

Please , keep us update after making your choice.

FYI, CPU is 10cores , no hyperthread.

I used a pair of E5-2666 v3 QFSC and Supermicro X10DAI to build a gaming /hyper-v/video editing machine for my son. He uses Windows 10 and a gamer, no issue at all, even sleep and wake up works.

gentlegy

Feb 20, 2018
My choice,
Seller with the last picture of CPUZ is.
reasons is the CPU is R2 and the CPU description is showing E5-2666 v3 @2.9 ghz , turbo 3.5GHZ.
I bet it is the most expensive one of the bunch.

Second choice is R2 with turbo 3.3GHZ.

Please , keep us update after making your choice.

FYI, CPU is 10cores , no hyperthread.

I used a pair of E5-2666 v3 QFSC and Supermicro X10DAI to build a gaming /hyper-v/video editing machine for my son. He uses Windows 10 and a gamer, no issue at all, even sleep and wake up works.
Hi Marsh, thank you for your feedback. The last two images are "retailed" version the seller claimed. I am more likely prefer the ES version (first two images) due to my budget.
No hyperthreading is really shocking me. I think xeon v3 should all have hyperthreading. Am I wrong about this claim? Or this issue is only founded in a few ES CPU?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
These CPU are custom make for Amazon by Intel, I guess Amazon only wants physical cores not HT.

If budget is a concern , take the seller with the second CPUZ screen shoot. It turbo to 3.3GHZ.

gentlegy

Feb 20, 2018
These CPU are custom make for Amazon by Intel, I guess Amazon only wants physical cores not HT.

If budget is a concern , take the seller with the second CPUZ screen shoot. It turbo to 3.3GHZ.
Hi Marsh,

I do some further search and find that there may be different version ES of 2666. QFSC (Qspec) may not have the HT support as you could see the comments in the cpu-world: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-2666 v3.html, but some people claim they have the chip with HT support, like this: Xeon e5 2666 V3 most mysterious cpu ever. Based on your CPU report, I suspect the revision M0 ES may have HT support.

Actually, I currently have a xeon 2676 v3 ES (Qspec: QEYP, stepping 0), which is an early stepping version and have 12 physical cores and HT support. It runs 2.4 on base, but could turbo boost to 3.0. So I just wonder switch to 2666 would be an "upgrade" or "downgrade" for me? Especially, my main usage is deep learning currently.

Another question is how matter is HT in real life? i.e. in what circumstance the HT would really boost performance? Or higher frequency between 3666 and 3676 would be notified in daily usage? Sorry, too many questions. :)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have no experience with DL, what I know from Patrick's articles, CPU play less important than GPU.

I don't think the E5-2666 v3 is much a upgrade from what you already have.

The reason that I own 2x QFSC CPU is because I paid $85 each or $170 for a pair.
It worked well in a gaming machine due to the high CPU clock.

gentlegy

Feb 20, 2018
I have no experience with DL, what I know from Patrick's articles, CPU play less important than GPU.

I don't think the E5-2666 v3 is much a upgrade from what you already have.

The reason that I own 2x QFSC CPU is because I paid $85 each or $170 for a pair.
It worked well in a gaming machine due to the high CPU clock.
Wow, $170 for a pair sounds like a steal. I have some decent GPUs, but just want to get a good host machine. May I ask how could you get these CPUs with such a good price?
I don't think there exist deals on eBay for xeon v3 or v4 less than $200.