Difference between Mikrotik routers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
The CCR1009 should be a safe bet then. We use them on 100Mbit fiber connections and without any optimization they provide 50+Mbit in VPN tunnels.

Reactions: PigLover

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
Not loud at all! Fan only whispers when it gets hot (at over 50% CPU or so). There is even a fanless version (CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+PC) with an 10Gbit port, but it is non-rackmount. However, it is a nice indication for the heat and noise production. ;-)

Indeed, I do love their products!

katit

Mar 18, 2015
There is even a fanless version (CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+PC) with an 10Gbit port, but it is non-rackmount.
Actually, there is rack mount ears included.. But, seems like they moved PS out of the box and redundancy is via PoE port.. And, from a picture it looks taller. And it's $100+ more..

Reactions: ultradense

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Hm.. Still on a fence, I scheduled to get router in 2 weeks. However, I got new requirements and not sure if that's part of a router and if it's doable..

1. Bandwidth control. Right now I'm running cloud backup from one of the machines. My uplink is 5Mbps, software has throttling built in. However, it does NOT work as expected. I set it to 4Mbps and all it does - it stays at 5, then drops. Then picks up and max out uplink again. I assume this is how most "softwares" will manage this.. Ideally I want router to limit bandwith and always live something to VOIP and VPN for example.. Possible with Mikrotik?

2. POE. Do those routers have it? I can't see it in specs, is it something I need to look for specifically? I ask for VOIP phones mostly.. Would be nice NOT to have power cords. Or, can I get some cheapo switch with POE which will cover this?

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
1. Yes they do. And it works very wel! You should search for 'queues' in the manual. Probably best to use with the mangle feature. Let me know if you need any assistance.

2. No, most of them doe PoE-in (so they don't need an extra power adapter, or you can use this as redundant power supply). Only a handful wil provide one or a few PoE-out ports. I allways think it's best if you look for a switch that can do PoE. Most routers don't even have enough ports to replace a switch IMHO.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Thanks! Read about queues - some neat stuff. How about this. Let's say I have 3 "importance" groups:
a. VOIP traffic - I want to make sure it is high priority and will have MIN amount of bandwidth guaranteed (but not blocked)
b. VPN connections - second priority
c. Other activity - lowest priority

So, let's say I have some uploading going on that can potentially kill upstream. But if I get VOIP call - it will clear out "slice" for it. Or, if there is VPN traffic - it will give it higher priority over other traffic?

I understand it's easy to just limit certain interfaces and it's cool, but what about requirement above?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Pretty sure my Zyxel USG-50 can do all you want for control, throw a POE switch and call it good ? Higher up more ports/connections/etc.

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
I agree, but the granular control you get with Mikrtoik is way more. I think the speed the USG50 can be delivered by Mikrotik for under $100.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I agree, but the granular control you get with Mikrtoik is way more. I think the speed the USG50 can be delivered by Mikrotik for under $100.
I haven't used more than 1 VPN connection, and the controls for me seem fine so I can't comment there... but I'm curious do you think the VPN speed or overall router capacity is > or the same on the cheaper Mikrotik? (Just curious your thoughts on that.)

Right now the USG-50s are not in use on any site with >75mbit WAN connection, and all residential.

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
Well, in my opinion you pay for hardware sizing (=routing-/firewall-/VPN-/PPPoE-speed) and you get the datacenter/enterprise level options for free.
If you need high VPN throughput, choose one with hardware accelleration and configure VPN with acceleratable (is this a word?) protocols.
I.e. RB2011 for $99 listprice should do 200+Mbit VPN (when both sides support the correct HA-protocols).

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Placed order for RB2011. I just need to see what it is. If there will be not enough performance - I will use it at home and get better one for office. But at least it will get me started with Router OS

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
Nice! It's a good piece to testdrive Mikrotik. For more raw power, look at the new Cloud Core Router-series. A bit more pricier, but even much more bang for your buck.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Those(CCR) are like 3x the price. I figured I will try this one for the price. Maybe it's enough :) And it's less power/no noise. I will find use for it anyway.