Did you hear tonga volcano explosion last night in your country and where?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Holy cow guys, we had a tsunami warning right now lol. This is massive. Happened yesterday. People all over the world say they heard it but I didnt because my room is very noisy with all the server stuff.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
it depends on the topography between the source of the sound and your house. Most places that heard it did not have any land masses in between. I.e. over water only. Land deadens sound much quicker, hills, trees etc. Did not hear anything here and neither did anyone I know - Adelaide, Australia. Yet it was heard in Alaska.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Too early to speculate on this but rewind 30 years, 1991 pinatubo erupted and here in japan the government decided to buy rice from Thailand. Everyone was using rice cookers already back in 1993 when this happened and because that type of rice requires different water amount and time(which nobody here knew or was willing to experiment too much around) there was a lot of wasted rice. In the end there was no real need to buy it at the time, everyone did survive and domestically grown rice was in enough supply, so probably no need to think about it now either.
Generally speaking, as we don't know how big this eruption was we can't tell anything yet but chances are this may result in damage to crops, particularly in asian region where the wind is blowing this ash cloud right now. The cloud doesn't really look that bad to me judging from himawari-8 daily images. I mean, not bad enough to make the world cooler this year. But more dust around the globe for sure.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
Sunday afternoon the upper air wave/wind from the blast crossed Connecticut which is pretty much on the total opposite side of the world. That was a big blast.

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021
Noting the satellite imagery, some of it came from GOES-17. Happy to have been a part of the team that build the ground station network infrastructure upon which that video/image stream transited. :)

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
NASA estimates explosion power of 10Mt TNT equivalent. So not quite Krakatoa territory which is estimated to have been 200 Mt. Nice bang still.

Irritatingly, we're as helpless as the dinosaurs killed by the Chicxulub impactor were against planet-wide disruptions. Money needs to be spent, wisely, to give us a fighting chance.