Did I screw up? Fusion-IO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HWGeek

Sep 30, 2015
Hey guys,

got a Fusion-IO ioDrive 2 1.2TB for $475, felt like it was a good price so I bit. Was I in the wrong and too eager to get a deal, since I'm having plans on building a bare-metal hypervisor (KVM?) server and passing through that drive along with other PCI-E devices, however it seems Fusion-IO don't have the biggest variety of Linux driver so I'm a bit limited with regards to OS and will it work at all?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Hey guys,

got a Fusion-IO ioDrive 2 1.2TB for $475, felt like it was a good price so I bit. Was I in the wrong and too eager to get a deal, since I'm having plans on building a bare-metal hypervisor (KVM?) server and passing through that drive along with other PCI-E devices, however it seems Fusion-IO don't have the biggest variety of Linux driver so I'm a bit limited with regards to OS and will it work at all?
If you're going KVM on CentOS I know it works there. CentOS 6/7 tested.

Reactions: T_Minus

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Nice deal. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS also will work with Fusion-io drivers.

HWGeek

Sep 30, 2015
OK thanks for the replies. Sometimes I get a bit too trigger-happy with regards to hardware and not think things through completely, but I just didn't see any options with similar endurance, capacity and performance in that price range. Did I miss anything there? Makes me feel better even if I might be a bit limited to older, well-tested distributions. @Patrick I read your article on getting it to work on newer Linuxes with not a great deal of success, any progress there? I kind of like to be on the frontlines of OS versions. Was optionally planning on using it as a SSD-cache for a HDD array, would that be OK?

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Fusion-IO as L2ARC is super sexy. I'd stick with a supported OS, try to update it and if it continues to work you are good. Start with known good.