Dell X1052 non-poe and POE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I wonder how loud the POE version is.
Been trying to find a quieter POE switch than my cisco W3560G 24 PS

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Lightly loaded the x1052 is not bad, once it boots. Your ears will run away and hide when it gets seriously cranked up though. As switches go, the ws-3560G is pretty quiet, I have mine sitting beside me and it's no worse than the average desktop pc 99.5% of the time. If you need quieter than that, your looking at something fanless, which is a problem if you also want high performance :)

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Trying to get the other guy to bite on 3/1000 deal on the other dells.

Last edited:

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
@pricklypunter
I wish my wife has sensitised ears like yours. Do you think its worth while to replace the blower fan on the W2560G with something quieter?
AS you said, I cannot fault the performance of that switch

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I wouldn't advise replacing it, the fan that is in there is barely able to keep up as it is. Those switches generate a lot of heat up around the switch ports and POE boards, which you absolutely must vent. Also the CPU area on the board runs quite hot too and is blocked from having a straight path out the back by the power supply. The main problem with them though, is that the fan is at the rear and the POE boards are right at the front, sandwiched between the back of the ports, the switching fabric and the light pipes for the port indicators, there's really very little cool airflow over them. POE failure is a common issue with them when they have suffered poor or restricted airflow, I have lost count how many of them I have repaired over the years for exactly that issue :)