Dell Wyse 5070 J5005 quad core (Extended chassis) w/ Dell Warranty (Open box) - $89.95

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Description doesn't state extended chassis but pictures shows it is extended. Also has 256gb SSD which is a bonus. No additional AMD graphics card like the extended versions typically have installed but I never put any value in those. Seller seems to have lots in stock (150+ since last time I checked).

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
More than 10 avail, 130 sold as of this post.

Unit has 2x serial ports and 1x parallel as well as 3x dp so lots of flexibility.

heromode

May 25, 2020
For newcomers, there's extensive threads about this machine in the forums, i've been running opnsense with a Intel i350-T4V2 quad port nic for awhile now, never any problems. One of the best features is the perforated casing that allows the nic to breathe without any major thermal issues.. Below a screenshot of opnsense running a ovpn subnet, a wg subnet etc..

the 4 nic ports is enough for my WAN traffic needs, additional subnets through vlan. I plan to use the remaining 2 realtek ports for guest WAN access (friend with laptop for ex), and for UPS to communicate to clients.

opnsense_dashboard_5070.png

Reactions: Aluminat and Samir

mattlward

Jun 20, 2023
I am running PFSense on one of these with an Intel PRO 1000 quad card, onboard EMMC and 8 gb of ram. Very capable box for the purpose. One note the slot and riser are PCIe 2.0 x4 in x8 form factor, so dual 10gig ethernet will not reach full speed if you need that. The box uses very little power and has been completely quite and reliable. Was running PFSense on a V1 SG105 before this and the box handled my load but used cpu at a much higher load. If I could only find the second ethernet M.2 card, it would really run lite dropping out the quad ethernet.

Reactions: Samir

thedman07

Sep 14, 2020
Description doesn't state extended chassis but pictures shows it is extended. Also has 256gb SSD which is a bonus. No additional AMD graphics card like the extended versions typically have installed but I never put any value in those. Seller seems to have lots in stock (150+ since last time I checked).

I bought one of these. They shipped fast and it looks to be new as described.

nsummy

Jan 3, 2018
Iowa
I also ordered one of these. Ordered it at 2 pm central and it shipped the same day. Not a negative per se, but when it did arrive, Fedex required a signature, so keep that in mind. Warranty on mine expires November 21, 2024.

eas

May 25, 2022
I bought one from this listing a few months ago. I'm very happy with it. It came packed in the original box, and, as I recall, didn't seem like it had seen any use.

I pulled one of the DIMMs (leaving the system with 4GB) and the SSD to use in a regular 5070 running Proxmox. I installed a i350 card and boot OpnSense off a USB SSD. I took some power readings with my Kill-a-watt
  • 0w for power adapter, no system connection
  • ~4W with system plugged in, but not booted
  • ~11W Idle
  • ~15W with a light load
  • ~18-20W with a speed test running at near (GigE) wire speed. I believe I had active queue management enabled at the time.
The only issue is that I got memory errors during POST with the (older) ethernet card installed. Apparently it was an incompatability with SMbus addressing between the DIMMs and the ethernet card. The solution was to mask out the SMBus pins with some packing tape. There are instructions online, possibly even in these forums of the main 5070 thread in the Deals forum. I think instructions for a PERC RAID controller were more numerous online, but its the exact same procedure for ethernet cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
From the threads here, seems to me that people have had issues with some of the super compact N6005/J5005 boxes from other manufacturers when running PF/OPNsense (these Topton ones for example, but I've seen threads on others https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-jasper-lake-quad-i225v-mini-pc-report.36699/). Seems kind of hit-and-miss which models/manufacturers have solid build, firmware, & support.

The Dells in this thread may be larger and will draw a bit more power than the smaller boxes, especially once a NIC is installed, but I'm guessing will be a pretty reliable and more problem free platform overall? Plus some warranty on some it seems! Nice find OP.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
From the threads here, seems to me that people have had issues with some of the super compact N6005/J5005 boxes from other manufacturers when running PF/OPNsense (these Topton ones for example, but I've seen threads on others https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-jasper-lake-quad-i225v-mini-pc-report.36699/). Seems kind of hit-and-miss which models/manufacturers have solid build, firmware, & support.

The Dells in this thread may be larger and will draw a bit more power than the smaller boxes, especially once a NIC is installed, but I'm guessing will be a pretty reliable and more problem free platform overall? Plus some warranty on some it seems! Nice find OP.
I don't have experience with the Topton boxes but the Dell boxes have been pretty well regarded around these parts, though admittedly I haven't actually gotten my hands on one. Here's an in-progress guide here for example. Plus these are made to deploy in enterprise environments so I imagine they are designed with stability in mind.

heromode

May 25, 2020
One thing to note is the BIOS contains a SSD wipe feature, i tested and it worked well, so anyone buying can use that to save some time instead of doing a hdparm secure erase.

I've also tested a hdparm secure erase from a debian live USB, you get the SSD into an unfrozen state by doing the standard command to put the machine into sleep, then wake it up, and your SSD should be 'not frozen'.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Aslong as you dont put in the nic revision that they are mainly having issues with you wont have the same problems atleast.

As a pfsense box the 109$+ nic and you are moving into the price range of decent appliances you could reinstall tho.

Reactions: Markess and Samir

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
As a pfsense box the 109$+ nic and you are moving into the price range of decent appliances you could reinstall tho
I suppose that's true.

I was just struck by how low the prices have gotten on these (and the fact that there's a seller with a supply of the extended chassis at all), and how the performance is pretty good (benchmark-wise better than the Atom C3558 system I'm using now) without perhaps thinking about how prices may be falling in general. But, these also have Quicksync, so I suppose they may be a good option for other purposes as well.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
Been running mine with a i350-T4v2 nic and running opnsense for i guess well over a year now, it's just zero hassle. i run a wireguard client and a openvpn client, and over a 150mbit DSL line the openvpn client uses about 50% of CPU at close to full speed.

But one of the best features is really the perforated case, which makes running the i350-T4 nic so much easier as it's allowed to breathe. This allows the CPU fan run steady and quiet, only dealing with the CPU, and not a nic heating up the surrounding air so much.

edit, if i was to run a 10gbit nic in this, i would probably strap a 120 or 140mm case fan to the perforated side of the case with rubberbands, and figure out how to power it maybe from a USB port or something, = all thermal issues solved.

bigtroutpa

Feb 10, 2023
Ive been using one of these as an Opnsense box for almost a year as well, i added an i350-t4

Zero issues, runs quiet and draws less than 10 watts most of the time.

Handles me 1gb connection quite well