Dell Sas 6/e 342-0910 firmware question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
To connect this card to the MD1000 chassis as a JBOD with software raid, do I need to flash it to anything special or does it do what I need without doing anything special, other than just making sure it is using up to date firmware?

Hugo

Aug 3, 2015
Hi !
I am exactly in the same situation. I have a MD1000 with that HBA card, and I have terrible performances with SSDs.
How is it going on your side? Could you share experience with me?
I am trying to build a windows storage spaces environment.
6 * Crucial M500 960 GB + 9 * Constellation 7.2K 4 TB
3 columns 2-way mirror. Performances are terrible with one SSD.
More information there:
Dell MD1000 as a JBOD for WSS - SSDs Performance - Spiceworks

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Well I never used it with an ssd, so sorry I cant really comment. I ended up building a self contained Windows storage tower. Now I have three MD1000 chassis I need to sell!

I now use a LSI 9300-8i and internal sas drives. I use ReFS with parity, so writes are abysmal as expected, but I will take that for the data integrity enhancements.

Hugo

Aug 3, 2015
Arf! You were the closest case to my situation so far :D
I really don't find anyone that tried to build a similar setup...
Did you do some testing with the MD1000 / HBA controller of disc performance?
Just so you know I can't go above 150 Mbps... (SAS 1)

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
I didn't run any real tests. I would get bursts when writing to the disks of up to 112 MB/s, but that was network limited. Never tried anything else.

If you end up wanting some additional MD1000 units or parts let me know. I havent put them up anywhere since shipping those heavy things is a pain.

Hugo

Aug 3, 2015
Okay, thank you for the follow up, very appreciated.
Good luck in your selling!

Hugo

Aug 3, 2015
I didn't run any real tests. I would get bursts when writing to the disks of up to 112 MB/s, but that was network limited. Never tried anything else.

If you end up wanting some additional MD1000 units or parts let me know. I havent put them up anywhere since shipping those heavy things is a pain.
Yes, sure I will let you know if I happen to need anything :)