Dell R720XD SSD drive problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Robert1958

May 20, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I'm having an issue that is driving me NUTZ..

I recently purchased 2 Dell R720XD's off ebay from 2 different sellers. Both are configured as follow:
2 intel E5-2697 V2 processors
64 Gb DDR 3 EEC Ram
2 750 watt power supplies
1 PERC H710P
1 Rear Flex Bay
3 Seagate 4 Tb 3.5 inch Hard Drives

One has a 0VRCY5 motherboard the other has a 0JP31P motherboard and both boot with the Dell logo and state R720XD, so here is the problem I'm having, if I put a 250 Gb samsung evo 840 SSD drive in the flex bay of the one with the 0VRCY5 no problem, BIOS will let me configure the evo as a boot drive or cachecade drive. Now if I put the same evo drive in the flex bay of the 0JP31P motherboard, the BIOS won't see the drive and causes the system health and drive fault LEDS to light up amber.

What's really strange is if I put a conventional sata HDD or SAS drive in the flex bay, no problem. All the firmware is up to date on both.

Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on? I've already swapped everything between both systems and always end up with the same results..

Thanks in advance

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I say check the bays and check the BIOS settings.

I have 2 730dx at work. bought them a year apart.
one ordered with FlexBay and one retrofitted after setup.(the thing was that I got one with SD card for OS setup but it kept killing the cards after 6-8 month of use. so when I was planning for a 2 node cluster build I ordered the second server with FlexDrives and SSDs for OS and ordered all the parts and drives needed to retrofit the first one to the same config.)

both work perfectly with SSDs(I did however got the DELL 200Gb SSDs )
but had to reconfigure the BIOS on the server and the PERC card to accept the drives.
it is a very strange configuration IMHO but can be figure out.
it should be even easier for you as your machines are still at bench stage. not production :) ...
I had to go at it live.
check the BIOS. first make sure all is as needed in there.
than go into PERC controller setup and check that. make sure the config is the same in both machines.