Dell R710 with mismatched CPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aarcane

Feb 16, 2016
Will a Dell R710 function properly with mismatched CPUs? I've got 4 Xeon CPUs CPUs. 2x E5645, and 2x E5503. I have two R710 servers. I want to keep the two balanced. I could buy more E5645s if I need to, but that'll be a week of shipping. I'd like to get it up and running as two 'identical' systems tonight and tomorrow if possible. Is it possible? I've tried googling and searching here and haven't found an article discussing this issue yet.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You won't be able to mix generations like that. Within generations, it can be possible, but no way you're mixing Nehalem and Westmere.

aarcane

Feb 16, 2016
Do you happen to know the requirements to make it work within generations? What specs or settings are crucial? Which are irrelevant? What should I check?

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Quoting,

1. CPUs must have the same QPI and RAM speed to work together.
2. CPUs must have the same thermal profile (TDP) to work together.
3. The CPUs must have the same number of physical cores to work together.
4. The CPUs must have the same number of logical cores to work together.
5. Stepping does not matter.
6. Clock speed does not matter.

So, you can only mix 2 CPUs that has only clock speed or stepping difference. And both CPUs will simply run at the lower clock speed.

Long story short, it's impossible to "balance" CPU power. Both sockets would end up running at exact same spec, which is the lower spec of the two.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

aarcane

Feb 16, 2016
@msg7086 @BlueFox
Thank you both. Any chance you could cite the source you're quoting so I can review it for other useful information and to just have for future reference?

msg7086

May 2, 2017

Reactions: aarcane

Mwilliamson

Aug 15, 2020
Fenton, Michigan, USA
@aarcane My experience with refurbishing Dell severs tells me that while the server may initially go through POST, it will squawk about mismatched CPUs of the same generation and halt. You will not be able to mix a 5600 series and a 5500 series on the same machine and have it boot.

I'd strongly suggest pairing equal CPUs and dividing up your proposed workloads between the machines.