Dell PowerEdge R630 8SFF Barebones - $119/ea

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
I've purchased one of these so far and just pulled the trigger on a 2nd:

The one I purchased did not come with rack ears, so I found a pair of those as well:

Power supply, cpu, cpu heatsink, memory, HBA cabling, HBA, and NIC are needed to make one of these useable. The cost still came in way under buying one outright.

Power supplies are hit and miss for deals. I've walked away with 2 packs for $29.99, but most are going for around $40/ea at the moment. Make sure you get the Extended Power Performance (EPP) power supplies. They have the EPP lettering in turquoise on the label. The cheaper non-EPP power supplies will not work with 13G Rx30 PowerEdge servers (they're only for 12G Rx20 PowerEdge Servers). The sweet spot is usually the 750w 80 plus platinum model (D750E-S6). Dell V1YJ6.

Dell K43RY is the correct cable for hooking up an H730 (RAID) or H330 (HBA) to the on-board slot.

I have not tried running an E5-2600v4 processor on it yet, but a single E5-2630Lv3 with 8 DIMMS idles around 59 watts. iDRAC 8 Enterprise license was also included.

Here's mine after populating it with parts (the 2nd heatsink doesn't have a CPU under it, which is why there's only RAM in CPU1's banks):
IMG_3183.jpg
IMG_3184-2.jpg

Last edited:

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Looks good. The R730's go for big bucks nowadays. I might pull the trigger on a couple myself.

Looks like no PSU though.

Also, for you cheapy's out there, I already did the hard work. The seller auto-denies any offers less than $110.

You're welcome :cool:
Power supplies are hit and miss for deals. I've walked away with 2 packs for $29.99, but most are going for around $40/ea at the moment. Make sure you get the Extended Power Performance (EPP) power supplies. They have the EPP lettering in turquoise on the label. The cheaper non-EPP power supplies will not work with 13G Rx30 PowerEdge servers (they're only for 12G Rx20 PowerEdge Servers).

Reactions: Samir and Sleyk

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
Did these come with heatsinks or do they need to be purchased separately ?

Reading is key, lol. Sorry I got a bit excited.

Power supply, cpu, cpu heatsink, memory, HBA cabling, HBA, and NIC are needed to make one of these useable. The cost still came in way under buying one outright

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I somehow missed this when it went up originally. I miss my R630. With a single CPU (E5-2667v3) it was the quietest, most well behaved, non custom 1U I've ever seen. And @Sleyk already did the Best Offer legwork for us!

If I wasn't already halfway through a (typical for me) totally harebrained project that will take up my remaining rack space, I'd have grabbed one!

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
I have the R430 and only had to buy some extra RAM, 96GB total now. Overall without drives it was around $700 but it's working great and isn't too loud at all. The two 10 core V4 Xeons it came with was overkill now that I think about it. I almost went with the R630 but the R430 is basically the same just with less DIMMs and has a shorter depth, ~24" vs 28".