Dell Perc H310 Adapter different versions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hydro

Jul 30, 2015
Just wondering if anyone know if there is different versions of the Perc H310 Adapter? I have a Perc H310 that will take the A00 and A02 firmware from the Dell Precision T5600 but not the newer A04-A09 firmware from the PowerEdge servers page. Tried Mode 0 flash the card with the A04-A09 firmware and it seems to corrupt the card.

Can some one also please tell me the how to backup the SBR and firmware for the Perc H310? Command? I would very much appreciate if you can provide me the SBR for the H310 Adapter also.

Thanks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Just wondering if anyone know if there is different versions of the Perc H310 Adapter? I have a Perc H310 that will take the A00 and A02 firmware from the Dell Precision T5600 but not the newer A04-A09 firmware from the PowerEdge servers page. Tried Mode 0 flash the card with the A04-A09 firmware and it seems to corrupt the card.
The following is based on the H700, but it should work for other Dell branded LSI controllers. Use at your own risk, contents may settle during shipping, etc.

I normally use the Server Update Utility DVD (but that is huge). But if you only need to force a flash, boot into one of the Dell standalone Linux environments (I use the CDU, but newer stuff should work as well) and get a shell (in CDU, it is F3 during boot). Mount a FAT-formatted USB stick with the Linux (not Windows) version of the Dell firmware upgrade utility. Now tell the update utility to unpack itself. One of the files it creates in the "payload" directory will be a something.rom file. You can feed that file to the megarec utility (find links to it here or Google for it, it isn't on the Dell media) to re-flash the entire card. Here's an annotated example (from memory, so there may be minor errors):

Code:
[Boot some Linux media and get a command line shell]
mkdir /foo
mkdir /bar
mount -t msdos /dev/sdb1 /foo (Replace sdb1 with the device name of your USB stick - do "ls /dev/sd*" to find it.)
cd wherever-you-put-the-update-utility-on-the-usb-stick
./name-of-update-utility --extract /bar (Unpack the update but do not run it)
cd /bar/payload
ls (Find the filename of the .rom file)
cp that-filename /foo
umount /foo
[Now, boot into some MS-DOS media, perhaps on the same USB stick you used above]
megarec -adpList (Find the controller number for your board - 0 if it is the only LSI in the system)
megarec -cleanflash n that-filename (n is the adapter number from the previous step, that-filename is the .rom file name you copied from the Dell updater)
[Many messages grouped into erase/flash/verify from megarec]
That should get you back to normal with Dell firmware on the card. Note that this does not work for "half-flashed" cards (for example, if the real LSI card has an 8MB flash chip and an OEM card has a 4MB flash chip).

Can some one also please tell me the how to backup the SBR and firmware for the Perc H310? Command? I would very much appreciate if you can provide me the SBR for the H310 Adapter also.
I don't have a H310, so I can't help with the SBR file. The megarec utility should program it as part of the complete flash, though.

At least on the H700, megarec won't be able to -readsbr or -readspd if the card is running firmware (heartbeat LED blinking) - it will just sit and not do anything. If the card isn't running, you should be able to use those commands to back up those two files.

Last edited:

Andrew Bayliss

Nov 3, 2016
I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but this was the only reference I could find to this issue online.

I too have an H310 that I could not flash the A04 to A10 firmwares to, receiving an error that the image was corrupt. I could however flash the A02 firmware from the T5600 downloads (after discovering this thread).

Initially I bricked the card by flashing the standard LSI MegaRAID firmware to it, thinking that might be a way to get a recent firmware running even if it wasn't a Dell one. This resulted in the card's BIOS and MegaCLI telling me the firmware was in a fault state. In the end I discovered that MegaCLI has an -adpm0flash option that, as far as I can tell, does an unverified flash. I used this first to recover the card to the A02 firmware, and then to upgrade to the A10 firmware, which I'm happy to report is working fine.

I hope this is helpful to someone else.