Dell HBA355i crossflashed to support Nvme?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Speculant

Jan 12, 2024
I recently got a couple of these HBA355i controllers. It would be really nice to enable 4x NVMe support per card via some adapter cables. Did you find anything out? It looks like flashing it would basically turn the HBA355i into a HBA 9500-16i. I tried StorCLI and the HBA355i presents itself as controller ID 0xE6 (matches with 9500-16i BIOS file) with firmware 24.15.03.00 and a SAS3816(A0) adapter type. Of course I tried flashing several different 9500-16i firmware versions to it but I keep getting "The firmware flash image is invalid" and "Flash image contains invalid secure hash key" errors but I expected that since it isn't reporting itself to StorCLI as a HBA 9500-16i.

In any case, it appears that 9500-16i is the right choice, if I can force the firmware to flash to it, it may work. I will do some more research as I would prefer not to brick the card. If anyone needs me to post a full dump from StorCLI /c0 show all just let me know.

Last edited: