Dell HBA330 not being properly detected for drivers or firmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I've got some Dell HBA330 adapters which are LSI 3008 cards, they have IT firmware on them but it's old. However that's not the only problem, even though it's a dumb adapter I should be able to load drivers for it. In Server 2016 and Win 10 I am not able to load any drivers for it even though I can see the drives and go into the HBA BIOS during POST no problem.

I've tried drivers from the Dell, SuperMicro, and Avago website for LSI 3008, no luck. MS has "HBA330 Adptr" and "12GB/s HBA" drivers listed in its repository but neither works. And when I try to flash new firmware to the card, "sas3flash.efi -list" says "No Avago SAS adapters found!"

What's weird is the BIOS that loads for the adapter has Avago branding/wording. So idk what gives. I don't want to go down the rabbit hole too far with these, technically the card works but I am skeptical about what's going on under the hood if I can't install drivers or firmware...

Anyone encountered something like this before?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
So I have an update on this, I was able to extract Dell firmware out of their exe package to update a card, but it seems like these cards do not re-initialize on boot. I am wondering if they're intended to only be run in Dell PE servers...they work fine on the first cold boot but any warm reboots, the card does not start back up and thus drives / adapter doesn't show in OS...any ideas?

For some reason I needed to enable the opROM setting for that PCIe slot in BIOS, it wasn't turned on and I guess was causing the HBA to drop after reboots.

Last edited: