Dell C6145. Troubles working with any GPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tim.yoshi

Jun 25, 2017
Kiev, Ukraine
Hello, I have Dell C6145 server which is otherwise working nice. I'd like to add external powered GPU (tried Geforce GTX 1060 and ATI Radeon 7870) to it via external powered riser, like this one:
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/XBIAAOSwN9tZdESf/s-l225.jpg

Once all properly wired up it boots into OS without any warnings in the BIOS or nowhere else. But any OS I tried so far - Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2016 and Ubuntu won't properly work with GPU on that server.

After installing fresh drivers from nVidia (or AMD for ATI card) for the corresponding OS (Win10 for WS2016 and Win7 for WS2008) sometimes Windows shows error “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)”, sometimes "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)" and most exciting is the state when there is no errors in Device manager, Windows shows "this device is working properly" but any app which tries to use it stops with errors. GPU-Z shows only basic info about GPU with temperature, clocks and almost everything else grayed out. I say "sometimes" because I tried all three onboard PCI-e slots, tried deactivation of all possible devices in BIOS, tried to play with many different settings in BIOS as well as older versions of drivers. Tried few different configurations of risers and even PCI-e multiplexer. It gives different errors in different combinations, but overall it just won't work at all. Also tried different GPU - old HD7870 from ATI - almost the same behavior. When nVidia GPU is connected there is no output from it after Windows boots, however, if I set it as primary in BIOS it do shows everything including BIOS up to the moment when OS boots. In case of ATI card it do show some output even in Windows, but it is B/W and 640x480 resolution and still it won't work with the same errors as nVidia.
Of course I tried to deactivate onboard videoadapter and making external primary and vice versa. In any of the combinations of used slots and settings I was never able to run anything on any GPU so far. Hence here is the question - how that could be that such a powerful server doesn't have resources for running a single GPU (and I'm not talking here about multiple of them yet).

Have anybody connected anything GPU-like to that THING?

Thanks.