Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ken

Feb 10, 2014
Well, to answer your questions you need to discuss why you are looking at buying one in the first place. Myself, I bought it to replace white box servers I cobbled together for training purposes, and in that regard the C6005 works great.

Some complain about power consumption, but twelve cores w/48 Gigs RAM & 2 SATA HDs consume well under 150 watts - for my application that's fine - I can run all three nodes off a typical wall outlet without issue.

Some complain about absolute processing power - I'm only interested in snappy responses inside lightly-used VMs, not production use. I might shy away from these units because of their speed, but again, for my application I can toss a bunch of VMs on a single mode with plenty of cycles to spare.

Some complain about relative cost - for my application, price trumps raw processing power. That I can get a machine three times as powerful for only twice the money (as a made up example) is not attractive to me - it simply costs too much.

Some worry about a lack of BIOS - BIOS updates are really only needed if the installed BIOS has issues, and honestly, these machines have been used for years in production, I think it's safe to consider these systems & their BIOS thou roughly tested.

Some complain about a lack if expand ability - a PCIe riser is less than $20/ea (if you need one), and four hard-wired SATA ports suffice in most instances.

Bottom line, I now have three very-well provisioned VM hosts that fit nicely in a server rack and allow me to recreate many, many production / training scenarios in a home labe environment. I can put this server behind a 1500VA UPS, connect all the NICs to an 8 port switch, tie all the nodes into a consumer 4 port USB KVM and have a very, very capable & resilient home lab for less than $800.

To me, they are a bargain, and I'd get another one in a heartbeat IF I could only contrive a scenario this current three node chassis doesn't satisfy.

Reactions: fnc1

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
Thanks ken, very useful information...

I plan on using it at home for VM's but at least some of them will run full time.
To start, Im going to virtualize my PFsense firewall, set up a voip server, and one to deal with camera systems...then probably branch out to a few more VM's and eventually a lab..
For the above 3 servers I'd like to have a dedicated NIC, with the PF Sense box needing at least 3.
It will go in my Rack and be plugged into my APC 3000XL.
I have some 1TB drives, and was hoping to use them, one per blade/sled.. (wondering how many VM's i could run off each one, without seeing a performance hit) any input on that?
also hoping a ps2 to usb adapter will work on my dongle for my kvm http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/12-338-057-02.jpg

Are you running ESXi?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
The question of how many VMs per host is always there. Many of my friends try to run as many guests that can fit in physical RAM so 12x2GB guests on 24GB RAM. I have a nice host with 48 GB so I will never run out of space for guests. 1 node is fine :)

javi404

Jan 24, 2014
fnc1, I think Ken explained it exactly right where these servers fit in the market and why some of us purchased them. I replaced 3 whitebox esxi5.1 servers with this one DCS server running ESXi5.5 and I still have 1 node I haven't provisioned yet. I also have a linux raid / nfs server that I hope to shutdown when I get the third node setup as its replacement. My goal was to save electric and increase capacity of my lab and so far I have already accomplished both using just 2 nodes in the one box. One node with its 48G of ram would have been enough to replace all 3 of those boxes. When I can turn off my old linux raid / nfs server then ill be using even less electricity per month. I have no doubt these were built with virtualization in place. These were specifically designed to be cheap and build huge clusters. If you are looking for something where you are going to get support from dell then this specific model is not for you.

One thing to warn about with any rack mounted hardware is noise. You don't want this server in the same room as you. Same goes to most rack mounted equipment. It is made to do its job not be quiet. For my needs it was a great deal.

Last edited:

Ken

Feb 10, 2014
I've found PS/2 to USB converters to be spotty with servers - a four port USB KVM might cost about as much as three decent PS/2 to USB converters... (A KVM like this is around $42, TRENDnet TK-407K 4-Port KVM Switch Kit (Version v1.3R) - Newegg.com )

Your link is to a picture for a SIP, used for cat5 KVMs (like Dell, Avocent, etc), not a PS/2 to USB adapter.

I don't run ESXi, I run Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Evaluation for now, working on Windows certification. Eventually I may run Windows Server on one blade, Linux on a second, and ESXi on the third, but that's up in the air for now.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
Thanks all (i expect ill be buying one of these tomorrow)..

Javi404:
-I fully expect ill also have one node just sitting there for the most part, and will probably only spin it up when im playing with stuff or working on something specific.
-I'm not really looking for support, I just wanted to make sure that they would last for the next say 3-5 years (and i didn't want to to miss out on something simply because a driver was not released or some such thing).
-My Rack is just short enough to fit through a doorway, but is just about full, its out of the way, and im not really worried about noise too much, but i have been working hard to use quieter hardware (i think the loudest things i have are the older switches Im using) but for the trade off with what i'd be getting here, I think I'd be ok with a little bit of fan noise.
-How are you managing 5.5? just using the v8 hardware and the vsphere client? Or do you have some other solution?

Ken:
-Right the SIP is what I am using now, was just saying i was hoping i could use a couple ps2>usb adapters with those (i have an avocent) but i havne't had the need for an adapter yet (so I don't know if those will work (prolly not))
-If i really need to i might have to get some SIPs that have the usb instead of ps2

Chuckleb:
-So one can run 12 hosts with 2GB of memory off a single TB HDD (without that number of running VMs having a major performance issue (HDD Wise))?

Last edited:

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I'm not concerned about performance, they are non critical VMs so I have to be realistic. If I cared, I'd have them backed by SSD or something, but then if I really needed the performance, I wouldn't have virtualized it in the first place.

lemieuski

Feb 15, 2014
Thanks for the screenshots! I'll check my settings today after work. These darn home labs don't get enough of my time. I guess I should get as much done as I can before the snow starts to thaw :D

I took a few pictures of my BIOS Screens a couple of weeks ago and some pictures of the chassis and server boards using my Ipad. I couldn't figure out how to upload the pictures in this thread posting so I set up and shared a Google Picasa album and provided captions on the pics. Although I use SnagIt, I could not use it since I had the monitor connected to the VGA port on the server node.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108842047581111934687/DCS6105?authkey=Gv1sRgCIO8noKO6-uW8QE

Although, these pics were taken a couple of weeks ago, my NUMA (per some of the previous responses to this thread) is indeed ENABLED and I haven't had any NIC issues to speak of.

Ken

Feb 10, 2014
Ken:
-Right the SIP is what I am using now, was just saying i was hoping i could use a couple ps2>usb adapters with those (i have an avocent) but i havne't had the need for an adapter yet (so I don't know if those will work (prolly not))
-If i really need to i might have to get some SIPs that have the usb instead of ps2

Chuckleb:
-So one can run 12 hosts with 2GB of memory off a single TB HDD (without that number of running VMs having a major performance issue (HDD Wise))?
I've had bad luck with Dell SIPs and PS/2 to USB converters on Dell Poweredge servers, but these aren't really Dell servers, they are Tyan, so it's worth a shot... Just save your receipt.

As for your dozen servers w/ 2 Gigs of RAM on one 1TB drive, I'd seriously consider using multiple spindles in a RAID0 (stripe) array to get better performance. Also, it depends on what the servers are doing - the VM would have normal OS disk activity, application disk activity, and if memory is too low, paging activity also. I'd ensure that each VM has enough memory to avoid paging activity as much as possible.

Hypervisor hosts need very little RAM compared to regular servers, consider bumping each VM to 3 or 4 Gigs, you only need a couple gigs for ESXi or whatever.

lemieuski

Feb 15, 2014
Thanks for the screenshots! I'll check my settings today after work. These darn home labs don't get enough of my time. I guess I should get as much done as I can before the snow starts to thaw :D

I took a few pictures of my BIOS Screens a couple of weeks ago and some pictures of the chassis and server boards using my Ipad. I couldn't figure out how to upload the pictures in this thread posting so I set up and shared a Google Picasa album and provided captions on the pics. Although I use SnagIt, I could not use it since I had the monitor connected to the VGA port on the server node.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108842047581111934687/DCS6105?authkey=Gv1sRgCIO8noKO6-uW8QE

Although, these pics were taken a couple of weeks ago, my NUMA (per some of the previous responses to this thread) is indeed ENABLED and I haven't had any NIC issues to speak of.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
I've had bad luck with Dell SIPs and PS/2 to USB converters on Dell Poweredge servers, but these aren't really Dell servers, they are Tyan, so it's worth a shot... Just save your receipt.

As for your dozen servers w/ 2 Gigs of RAM on one 1TB drive, I'd seriously consider using multiple spindles in a RAID0 (stripe) array to get better performance. Also, it depends on what the servers are doing - the VM would have normal OS disk activity, application disk activity, and if memory is too low, paging activity also. I'd ensure that each VM has enough memory to avoid paging activity as much as possible.

Hypervisor hosts need very little RAM compared to regular servers, consider bumping each VM to 3 or 4 Gigs, you only need a couple gigs for ESXi or whatever.

I was just going by what was said above, In all likelyhood ill try 3 or 4 on a single spindle, and if need be branch out from there.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I was actually thinking of a small and cheap SSD that I can direct all swap activity onto locally for speed. Haven't really swapped much but can never tell what it would take to trigger it.

Ken

Feb 10, 2014
An update - Over on the benchmark page a fellow questioned my power consumption numbers, based on his quick back-of-envelope calculations, which caused me to pull out my Kill-A-Watt and double check my numbers. Long story short, I was wrong in my initial reports.

Completely idle, this server draws 45 VA (watts).

With one blade running a Windows Server 2012 R2 instance with Seti@Home running 12 threads (consuming 100% of CPU cycles, as reported by Windows a Task Manager) it jumps to 250 VA (watts).

With two more blades running Ubuntu Server with no load (booted but idle), power usage goes to 450 VA (watts).

So, my takeaway? Each blade, when running full-out, uses about 200 watts, and there's about 50 watts lost to the chassis/inefficiencies. Additional blades will add between 100 and 200 watts each, depending on workload.

Sorry for any confusion - I must have unknowingly had my Kill-A-Watt set to one of the averaging setting instead of an actual setting.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
just paid for one, 6x6 with 144gb memory no hdd, got it for 531.68 shipped...

Now i need to find some riser cards and nics... Does anyone know a model number for the riser or have a good cheap source?
Also any recommendations for some cheap multiport nics.. (can you get one with 4 ports that will fit the slot?)

totalanni

Mar 3, 2014
Odds are you will still get the 3 Hard Drives...
I did...

Just a quick update. Bought a Supermicro RSC-R1U-E16R riser card off of Amazon and then used it to successfull install a LSI 9260-4i RAID controller into one of our nodes. It took about an hour to re-run the new HDD cables; there are a lot of screws holding the fan brackets in place. The backplane has two sets of six SATA connectors, one on the left and one on the right. Keeping to the one row per node wiring, this means that half the cables go left and half of them go to the right. Just a little extra work to be aware of.
I can also confirm that this card fits perfectly.
I bought one to throw a m1015 in...

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
Thanks I'd seen that post, Im going to order up three of those, I thought there may be a dell branded one someone had found.

Ken

Feb 10, 2014
Thanks I'd seen that post, Im going to order up three of those, I thought there may be a dell branded one someone had found.
Remember, it's neither a Dell MB nor chassis, it's a Tyan MB in a third-party chassis.

I just ordered three from Amazon myself, just in case.

Quad Gigabit NICs appear to be available in the $50-100 range on eBay, not too bad, IMHO.