Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

billwong

Feb 23, 2014
Hi darkconz,

this looks not the same, it's for 6105 not 6005. have you tried? it works?
if yes, then i can try as well, otherwise it will bring down the system if with wrong BMC.

lemieuski

Feb 15, 2014
I'm curious, what are people doing with these servers? Mine is to replace a motley collection of white box hand-made servers on my home training 'lab', not for production use.

I must admit to being pleasantly surprised that all three nodes consume less than 400 watts total when 'active'. That beats two of my previous servers, and the increase in RAM/CPU cores made these an unbeatable deal for home use (IMHO).

So, what are your C6005 servers up to?

(And why are people using C6005/C6105 interchangeably?)

I plan on running ESXi to replace my home lab. Possibly rewiring the HDs and running Windows Server 2012 R2 as a storage server on one node to serve up some storage to the rest of my network and potentially host VMs.

javi404

Jan 24, 2014
Hi darkconz,

this looks not the same, it's for 6105 not 6005. have you tried? it works?
if yes, then i can try as well, otherwise it will bring down the system if with wrong BMC.
I can confirm that is not the same and it could brick your board if you apply the wrong BMC.

I have both the files I downloaded from Dell's mystery "custftp site" and a copy of the BMC and BIOS I ripped from a working board.
I have not successfully tested either of these but perhaps if someone else has tested flashing a bios or BMC on these boards they can provide more information.

Give me a bit to upload it somewhere.

Edit: See if this works.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ow5ti4tscadd1iz/AgJRhxnZmC

Last edited:

billwong

Feb 23, 2014
HI Javi404,

thank you! the firmware is working fine. and finally, i got why i got the issue with the IPMI. i think this is very very critical issue which everyone using C6100 or C6005 should care with, with recent NTP DDoS attack, the IPMI NTP is enabled by default, and this will be used as large NTP attack, up till now i still cannot find a better way to fix it. If there is anyone in the group to be able to shutdown the NTP in the C6005 IPMI, please share with, this will help a lot of users of C6005. otherwise, their IPMI device will be under risk of being used of NTP Ddos attack.

javi404

Jan 24, 2014
HI Javi404,

thank you! the firmware is working fine. and finally, i got why i got the issue with the IPMI. i think this is very very critical issue which everyone using C6100 or C6005 should care with, with recent NTP DDoS attack, the IPMI NTP is enabled by default, and this will be used as large NTP attack, up till now i still cannot find a better way to fix it. If there is anyone in the group to be able to shutdown the NTP in the C6005 IPMI, please share with, this will help a lot of users of C6005. otherwise, their IPMI device will be under risk of being used of NTP Ddos attack.

Billwong, Glad I could help. Also can you tell us the process you used to flash?
It would be good to document it here for anyone who needs it.

Regarding NTP:
If I were you I would not have IPMI or any of your servers, accessible publicly on the net.
Look into something like PFSENSE for a cheap firewall solution.

I don't know the specifics on the NTP attack that has been going on since the start of the year if not sooner but block NTP it at the FW.

Last edited:

lemieuski

Feb 15, 2014
Anyone care to shoot me the proper bios settings? I'm still without proper linking network adapters

Ken

Feb 10, 2014
If you can supply a list of relevant BIOS settings I'm happy to list the ones on my server which is not having any NIC issues I'm aware of, but I'm not going to be near my C6005 before tomorrow.

I also promised some pics of the chassis & blades for another list member - I'll do those tomorrow as well...

gmac715

Feb 16, 2014
Dear All,

anyone of you can provide me with C6005 BMC/BOIS firmware? as i got issue with the current BMC which send out huge packets out e.g UPD brocast out, i want to re-flash the BMC firmware, but i cannot find any where i can download with. if anyone of you can provide a link to download, this will be perfect and great thank you!
I had a similar issue with the BIOS but the BIOS on that system board was completely toast. The site I'm using for downloading BIOS files and firmware files to try to resurrect the BIOS is [editing since I got the tip that these are risky development firmware see: http://forums.servethehome.com/processors-motherboards/3100-dell-3-node-amd-dcs6005-13.html#post29346]

gmac715

Feb 16, 2014
"I can confirm that is not the same and it could brick your board if you apply the wrong BMC."

I can definitely say with certainty is that is what will happen since I went to Dell's site to download the files there to try to install/update the BIOS and firmware. That is why I bought another one of these units on ebay and took the easy way and just swapped out the nodes; however, I do plan on flashing the BIOS with the spare boards to see if I can restore the cooked BIOS.

[editing since I got the tip that these are risky development firmware see: http://forums.servethehome.com/processors-motherboards/3100-dell-3-node-amd-dcs6005-13.html#post29346]

gmac715

Feb 16, 2014
Dear All,

anyone of you can provide me with C6005 BMC/BOIS firmware? as i got issue with the current BMC which send out huge packets out e.g UPD brocast out, i want to re-flash the BMC firmware, but i cannot find any where i can download with. if anyone of you can provide a link to download, this will be perfect and great thank you!

Give this link a try: [editing since I got the tip that these are risky development firmware see: http://forums.servethehome.com/processors-motherboards/3100-dell-3-node-amd-dcs6005-13.html#post29346]

gmac715

Feb 16, 2014
I took a few pictures of my BIOS Screens a couple of weeks ago and some pictures of the chassis and server boards using my Ipad. I couldn't figure out how to upload the pictures in this thread posting so I set up and shared a Google Picasa album and provided captions on the pics. Although I use SnagIt, I could not use it since I had the monitor connected to the VGA port on the server node.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108842047581111934687/DCS6105?authkey=Gv1sRgCIO8noKO6-uW8QE

Although, these pics were taken a couple of weeks ago, my NUMA (per some of the previous responses to this thread) is indeed ENABLED and I haven't had any NIC issues to speak of.

Last edited:

gmac715

Feb 16, 2014
Hello Javi404,

it looks you have download the latest verison of C6005 BMC firmware and BOIS, is it possible for you to put it to a link for me to download again? as i cannot download the link from this FTP - ftp://143.166.198.66/customerftp/msbak/platforms/uranium/bios/ it looks the FTP server is down already. thank you! or anyone here have got C6005 BMC firmware? whatever verison is fine.
I just clicked on the link from your post and the folders and files are available. I did download several of the past versions (1.04 - 1.09) zips.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
So, I've been wanting to buy an box to run as ESXi, I read through the entire thread.

im looking at this one..
Dell C6100 C6105 Cloud Server 6X 1 8GHz AMD 6 Core Hex Core 144GB RAM 3X 250GB | eBay

From what i understand, these were built for a specific client, and are not the easiest and widely supported servers - is that right?
Would those of you, you have these, buy them again, or go with something else, like a c6100 in this thread? http://forums.servethehome.com/proc...00-xs23-ty3-2u-4-node-8-cpu-cloud-server.html

Also, if i remember right i think i saw one person who had to buy a riser card for the pci slot? are none of these coming with the riser cards?
(I would like to add in some extra NICs, for my VMs)

Anything else i should be aware of?

The other server I had been considering was this one:
HP Proliant DL160 G6 1U 2X Intel Xeon Six Core L5639 2 13GHz No HDD 72GB RAM 883585721801 | eBay

javi404

Jan 24, 2014
fnc1, same exact one I purchased. If I didn't care about my electric bill I would buy another one, but then again if I didn't care about my electric bill I might have purchased something else or more than 1 in the first place. The only real Issue I have is that the NICs seems to be picky about what switches they are plugged into. Can anyone confirm what switches they have these servers plugged into tested working? only the 4 ports shared with the SFP slots on my crappy trendnet switch link with these NICs. The third node is plugged into a crappy old gigabit d-link desktop switch.

I have seen more than 1 post here and other places of NICs being picky.

gmac715

Feb 16, 2014
fnc1:
This is the same unit I bought on EBay from the same seller. I actually bought a 2nd one (no memory nor storage) a few weeks later to have a spare for parts. I bought these units for my home lab so I felt they were good for what I needed them for and would make a great machine to get into server virtualization. So far, with the help of others in the forum, so good. The units arrived either on time or a day earlier and were exceptionally well packaged. The seller has also been very responsive (I had a couple of RAM sticks that weren't fully seated in the slots and this caused a high pitched alarm sound). The combination of the very low power consumption and the price (for a little more than I was going to pay for my next smart phone in full) i got this server. The EBay listing was a bit confusing with the whole Dell C6106 or DCS6005 thing but I got that figured out in this forum.

gmac715

Feb 16, 2014
fnc1, same exact one I purchased. If I didn't care about my electric bill I would buy another one, but then again if I didn't care about my electric bill I might have purchased something else or more than 1 in the first place. The only real Issue I have is that the NICs seems to be picky about what switches they are plugged into. Can anyone confirm what switches they have these servers plugged into tested working? only the 4 ports shared with the SFP slots on my crappy trendnet switch link with these NICs. The third node is plugged into a crappy old gigabit d-link desktop switch.

I have seen more than 1 post here and other places of NICs being picky.
I am using a TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Desktop/Rackmount Switch (Model TL-SG1016D). So far, I have had no NIC issues.

totalanni

Mar 3, 2014
I got one of the 144gb models off ebay as well...
I think im having problems with one node staying powered. It just randomly powers down over night.
Where should i start looking to track this down?

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I can't find it on my phone but someone had this issue on a C6100 on these forums. Might try processors and motherboards section

gmac715

Feb 16, 2014
I got one of the 144gb models off ebay as well...
I think im having problems with one node staying powered. It just randomly powers down over night.
Where should i start looking to track this down?
What OS are you running on that node?
I'm taking a guess here but perhaps the OS Power management features are affecting this.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
Dell C6100 C6105 Cloud Server 6X 1 8GHz AMD 6 Core Hex Core 144GB RAM 3X 250GB | eBay

so those of you that have bought this? Are generally happy? Got pretty much everything to work? I saw some people having issues with the nic/switches and it seemed like it was a bios type issue (settings)?

Do any of you out right wish you would have spent a little more on the C6100 ty3?

The main thing im worried about are comments like this:
"DCS is Data Centre Solutions if i remember rightly. But its Dell Servers for customers big enough to dictate specs if they choose to. They may dictate they want a certain configuration node wise and that includes differences like no mez card, different bios etc. The only real way to tell is look inside the machine and/or check the service tag number with Dell. If no record turns up its probably DCS

C6100 = Intel based standard server (beware there are custom ones running around like the TY (unlike the normal TY3) that are very non-standard)
C6105 = AMD based standard server
C6005 = DCS version of the C6105 with some seriously weird spec decisions like only being wired/capable of handling 3 nodes, not allowing for hot swap PSU's, needing custom BIOS's etc. Obviously made for a specific customer and generally sold on eBay as a C6100 or a C6105.

Most eBay sellers are not aware of the differences. They may have a few hundred servers they brought bulk and they look similar so they sell them all as the same thing.........

Check carefully what your getting if you can."

I dont mind only having three nodes, and not being ale to add a 4th, i think 3 would be more than enough for the next few years...
What i am more concerned with is say Bios updates, and like if ESXi had a new version, and there were no more driver releases for the box, since it may have been a custom build, and that client has since sold them off, so dell has no reason to update things...

For those of you that have this one from this seller.. what OS's are you running? Is anyone running ESXi 5.5 without issue? Oh and did they come with riser cards (id want to add some more ethernet ports)?

Last edited: