Dell 1500VA 2U UPS (DLT1500RM2U)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Anyone that purchased the network management card (AP9619) that I hastily purchased the other day and linked to for this particular UPS, @PithyChats may have a point. Although I have seen these units sold with that card and older ones in the past, after some digging on the APC forums, the web and getting a hold of the Dell manual for it, there does seem to be evidence, beyond the marketing hype, to suggest that it might not work with it. The Dell manual only lists the ver 2 cards in the options for example.

As far as I can tell, when APC began phasing in the newer cards after April last year, they also changed the mechanical interlock (metal tab pattern on the UPS smart-slot) to prevent the wrong cards being inserted. The early cards had no slots at all cut in their faceplates, the later range had two parallel slots cut in them and the newest ones have one normal slot and one larger slot cut in them. The tabs on the new UPS smart-slot are also offset from one another to prevent the parallel slot cards being inserted. While they were at it, they also changed the communication protocol used from UPSLink to Microlink without publicising the details of the new protocol. They now have a legacy card in the latest range that uses this new signalling protocol and that is, allegedly, backwards compatible with the older UPS's. To make matters worse, APC also manufactured and released several batches of various cards where the card face plate had the wrong slots cut in them.

Now, all that being said, the photos I have of the Dell DLT1500RM2U clearly show two parallel tabs on the smart-slot, so in theory at least, any of the cards with a parallel slot should work in it, including the one I linked to. However, just in case it doesn't work, please don't buy this card specifically for this UPS until I can confirm that it does in fact work with it. I have access to the latest (AP9631) card, so I can test them both and compare the results when the stuff arrives.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Ok, I received the UPS today. @PithyChats is correct, the Smart-Slot on it will only accept the later cards, dammit. It has the offset tabs on it. I'm thinking the photos that I have are from the wrong model. The same model number, just a later incarnation of it. So whatever you do, don't buy the card I linked to for the DLT1500RM2U UPS, it won't fit in it.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
rule of thumbs:
* if the UPS has LCD display. you need to use 963X module.
* if has non LCD aka leds only, can use 961X or 963X module.

I alwasy pick "non LCD" model due on cheap 9619 module, bought 3X for $20, $21, and $24 with freeshipping.

963X is "kind of" expensive for recent years

early 2015 year, bought 1500 XL *SUM1500RMXL2U * without batteries (brand new product sample -> APC Smart-UPS XL SUM1500RMXL2U UPS - Newegg.com) for $90+$20 shipping = $110, 8 batts(unbranded) total for $40, 9619 for $20, and APC rails for $25 = $195 totally.

I pick XL due on providing longer time when running through the batteries :D.
and If needed, I can buy extra 2U (used) module for batteries.

if you do not need in rush, you can monitor 1500 XL (SUM can be converted to standing or 2U, SURTA is 2U only) on ebay, and snatch out/make offer when the price 80-150 without batteries.

Reactions: NetWise

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
If you look around, you can find Emerson Power/Liebert GXT3 3000va 120 UPSes for around 250 nib Inc shipping. I picked up one back last September, runs like a champ.

I have gone away from APC for precisely this reason and the fact I've killed 3 1500va units over the last couple years.. Upsforless.CA has good prices on UPSes too for Cads like me.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Argh indeed, sorry mate, dunno what to say, I'm a divet, I hang my head in shame :(

I went with what I had as evidence at the time that it would work. The good news is, unless he's sold them all already, the same seller has the later cards too. Not as cheap as the older one that I ordered, but $75 + free shipping for the AP9631 is certainly a lot cheaper than anyone else I have seen on the 'bay (look at his other items). I was initially just going to borrow one to test with, but when I seen the tabs on the new smart-slot, I figured there wasn't much point, so I just ordered one earlier today.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
If you look around, you can find Emerson Power/Liebert GXT3 3000va 120 UPSes for around 250 nib Inc shipping. I picked up one back last September, runs like a champ.

I have gone away from APC for precisely this reason and the fact I've killed 3 1500va units over the last couple years.. Upsforless.CA has good prices on UPSes too for Cads like me.
my 4 trusted black smart UPS with remote module never let me down :D.
2X1500 desktop style, 1X750 desktop style, 1X1500xl 2U/standstyle.,

the best on apc smart ups is easy to get cheap when not rushing in.

3000 is to much, the max is 1500 for me...
I found 3000 is a way cheaper on my local craiglist due on most electricity connectors in the building has rated 15A which is 1500 model is the max.

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
my 4 trusted black smart UPS with remote module never let me down :D.
2X1500 desktop style, 1X750 desktop style, 1X1500xl 2U/standstyle.,

the best on apc smart ups is easy to get cheap when not rushing in.

3000 is to much, the max is 1500 for me...
I found 3000 is a way cheaper on my local craiglist due on most electricity connectors in the building has rated 15A which is 1500 model is the max.
I have a few of those black dead ones I can send you.. In fact, there's two in this room right now.. one is a stand for a pump for a fish tank, the other, collecting dust on my other desk, burned out. None of these are online UPSes, which is ok for most home stuff, but once you use a good Eaton or Emerson UPS, you don't want to go back :) No doubt some people are good with APC, but even at my last place, they swapped out the APC's since most of them died due to power conditions after a year or two. No issues like that with the Eaton's or Emerson Power gear.

I've found a few good deals on 1500va Liebert too, just have to look. I needed higher power density than 1500, since running a few circuits actually wastes more energy than using one, higher power circuit. I draw 1.2KW and I wanted a 45 minute runtime so my "at home" needs are likely higher than most :)

Here is one of my favourite sellers...

120v Rack – Value | Product Categories | GreenLightUPS

Hope that helps someone find a good cheap UPS...

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I have a few of those black dead ones I can send you.. In fact, there's two in this room right now.. one is a stand for a pump for a fish tank, the other, collecting dust on my other desk, burned out. None of these are online UPSes, which is ok for most home stuff, but once you use a good Eaton or Emerson UPS, you don't want to go back :) No doubt some people are good with APC, but even at my last place, they swapped out the APC's since most of them died due to power conditions after a year or two. No issues like that with the Eaton's or Emerson Power gear.

I've found a few good deals on 1500va Liebert too, just have to look. I needed higher power density than 1500, since running a few circuits actually wastes more energy than using one, higher power circuit. I draw 1.2KW and I wanted a 45 minute runtime so my "at home" needs are likely higher than most :)

Here is one of my favourite sellers...

120v Rack – Value | Product Categories | GreenLightUPS

Hope that helps someone find a good cheap UPS...
if you need APC online-ups, "RT" is the model.

broken black smart ups model? or non smart-ups model?

smartUPS for server/network is line interactive ups.

I can find easily UPS that you mention on craiglist (on my local area), but <=1500va is not cheap.

well. multiple line interactive UPS' are not wasting since when the battery is full, the ups is on standby
versus online UPS.
online-ups always generate ac output from battery/inverter. the loss is AC->DC->AC since always in online mode...
>1500VA mostly required additional installation :p.

you are "nut"... 45 mins for your home?. I never think of that....:p

the good thing, you can find apc smartups easily on ebay, and affordable with remote module.
I had been searching for my server rack 2U UPS, and apc was the cheap and cheap than Eaton or Emerson.

been using non online-ups aka line interactive ups > 10 years and never burn my smartups.

if you look on APC model, 1500 online-ups (RT) the model is SURTA1500 or SURTA1500XL

Last edited: