(DEAD) HGST Ultrastar 3TB used/pulled drives from Monoprice for $40/ea

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
Picked some up to finish an upgrade of some old 500gb disks in a ZFS RAIDZ2 vdev... Thanks!

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Tempted to jump on this deal, but with limited number of 3.5" I want 4Tb drives or more

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015

james23

Nov 18, 2014
what do you expect the POH to be for a referb/pulled enterprise drive? honestly 2yr isnt all that bad for such high quality drives (HGST enterprise). (atleaste they arent WIPING the SMART data like several referb. vendors do)

I ordered 2x of these, and while the packaging on the shipping was pretty bad (2x drives, anti-static bags on each , BUT stacked atop each other, with a deflated airbag between them) - Im happy with the price!

(btw, of the 2x drives i got, one of them is testing flawlessly, the 2nd is giving some IO errors so im attempting to get that one replaced from monoprice). both had right at 700 days POH , but no other SMART errors , Date of MFG sticker on drives is ~2015 (or 2014, i cant recall)

40$ with free ship is a great deal on these drives. but they are out of stock now

Reactions: StevenDTX

james23

Nov 18, 2014
just an update, monoprice is looking like a nightmare to deal with in terms of support / returns -

I filed a return request via site yesterday (Sunday), I didnt get a reply today (Monday end of day, but thats not a big deal).

However, throughout the day ive been trying to get in touch with phone support + and live web support (which they suggest you use , everywhere).

All day, the live chat keeps closing and offering to email me a transcription, or when i do get into the queue, it just keeps saying waiting for agent then closes.

Phone support, ive been on hold for 2h (around 11am cst) , and even now 1h 15m so far now (445pm cst) (both with no answer).

ill keep trying and will update with result.

UPDATE:
Day 2 trying to get intouch with anyone at monoprice, still going horrible-

Live chat is still doing the same thing as all day yesterday (ive even tried from a remote PC in a different state, same result) see above post.

Been on phone hold so far 33m (got another call so accidnetly hung up) and now 47m and still holding
(** to be clear monoprice is located in California, not texas (ie this isnt due to hurricane)

at some point its not worth the 40$ bad hdd any more :(

will update again

Last edited:

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
just an update, monoprice is looking like a nightmare to deal with in terms of support / returns -

I filed a return request via site yesterday (Sunday), I didnt get a reply today (Monday end of day, but thats not a big deal).

However, throughout the day ive been trying to get in touch with phone support + and live web support (which they suggest you use , everywhere).

All day, the live chat keeps closing and offering to email me a transcription, or when i do get into the queue, it just keeps saying waiting for agent then closes.

Phone support, ive been on hold for 2h (around 11am cst) , and even now 1h 15m so far now (445pm cst) (both with no answer).

ill keep trying and will update with result.
Looks like my shipment got delayed because of the hurricane. Hopefully no duds. I hate dealing with customer service.