DDR5 ECC RDIMM temps, especially in a workstation chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

compgeek89

Mar 2, 2019
This is more of a memory question, but chassis seems like the closest relevant category!

I have just built and am testing a Threadripper 7000 build. Specs for reference:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7970X 350W SP6 - 32-Core/64-Threads
Asetek 35-102-0000354 836S-M1A AMD Threadripper Cooler 360mm
ASUS Pro WS TRX50-SAGE WIFI
NEMIX RAM 256GB (4X64GB) DDR5 5600MHZ PC5-44800 2Rx4 ECC RDIMM
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB
PNY RTX 4000 Ada VCNRTX4000ADA-PB 20GB 160-bit GDDR6
Fractal Design Define 7 XL ATX Full Tower Case
Super Flower LEADEX VII XG 1300 W 80+ Gold
Windows 11 Enterprise 64 Bit
Noctua A14 PWM x5
Noctua A14 FLX x1
Noctua NF-F12 x4

So, I have the case set up for airflow with the radiator top-mounted. The four NF-F12 fans are across the top, three on the radiator, one on the extra space (with the extra space being toward the back, radiator pushed to front). Then three A14s on the front, two on the bottom, one on the back. Air pushing front to back, bottom to top.

In general, temps are good, but the RAM is a little crazy. The motherboard has two RDIMM slots above the CPU and two below. After 24hrs of Prime95 "blend" the average temp for the top stick closest to the socket is 80C, the one above that is averaging upper 70s, but both have hit 95C. The bottom two are staying in the 60s average with a max around 80C. I know the designed operating range for the RAM is 0-95C, but is this OK? If not, is there anything I can/should do about it? I am not having stability issues. I ran the Windows extended memory test for almost 24hrs with no issues, and Prime95 has also been stable for 24hr runs.

Consumer RAM doesn't come anywhere close to this. I have read a few things about RDIMMs running hotter... but I can't find anything conclusive about what is acceptable. Obviously this is unlikely to be the continuous operating status for the machine in daily use. It's supposed to be a Solidworks FEA workstation for the long haul.

I appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Last edited:

compgeek89

Mar 2, 2019
its not the ECC but the buffer chip (the one in the middle, IDT or M(ontage) or Rambus)
Good correction. My question still stands, though!

Looking into things further, I think the 95.8C readings are glitches with HWInfo64 -- it's hanging in the 80s on a largefft prime95 test, and every once in a while there's a straight one sample spike to 95.8, doesn't seem like it's actually getting there. I'm not sure to what extent the end-user's workflow will ever get to these temps but ... is this reasonable? I guess it's within spec, but... seems crazy high.

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
For some reasons my regular non-overclocked single-rank DDR5 ECC RDIMM 16GB 4800 Micron
(MTC10F1084S1RC48BA1 NGCC EC8 RDIMM DDR5 1RX8 - PC5-4800B-RD0-1010-XT)
is flagged as hot by HWInfo64 even at temps above 35 ^C
(this is under normal load, not stress-testing/benchmarking)
despite Micron' specification clearly saying it has operational temperature up to 95 ^C
1708523011358.png

I've just received heatsink prototype components - 0.9mm aluminum sheets (alternatively 1.2mm because they don't have 1mm) and spring clamps
(or one of those but I'm not sure if high-carbon spring steel is foldable well enough without breaking or holds sufficient grip on heating to 90^C)
to install on memory buffer/ecc section after some folding/cutting effort since capacitors around it are 1mm higher (plus obviously thermal compound),
I hope it might improve situation a bit (although at these low temps chances are quite slim)
Unless I've received a weird batch of engineering sample memory from ebay hustlers of course.

Last edited: