DataOn DNS-2760 (HGST 4u60G2) - will not power on

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
So I picked up a DataOn DNS-2760 (60 3.5" drive enclosure - rebranded HGST 4u60G2) last year and just now getting around to lugging the thing into my basement to try and play with it. I get this monster installed in the rack and I'm excited to plug it in... and nothing. No fans spin up, no led lights, nothing.

I thought maybe I need to plug the other PSU in, so I plug in the second one.... still nothing. I tried a few other power cords just to be sure and that did not help.

There doesn't seem to be any information on people having this issue, and there doesn't appear to be any sort of power switch on the unit, so I'm kinda out of ideas. I pulled a PSU out and tried plugging that in while holding it and that did not light up either. Frequently a PSU will not power up without being installed, so I didn't expect it to work when bench testing just the PSU.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I could try, or am I missing something embarrassingly obvious? Just hoping I don't have a 200lb brick.

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
Maybe your power supplies are bad ? But I wouldn’t assume both are bad at the same time. Do you have a meter to check the power supply with them plugged into the server and power on?

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
Maybe your power supplies are bad ? But I wouldn’t assume both are bad at the same time. Do you have a meter to check the power supply with them plugged into the server and power on?
I have several multimeters, but when these are plugged in, they are buried in the chassis. Not sure if it's possible to get into the chassis while the PSU is plugged in.

The PSU has lights directly on it that I would expect to light up if there is any hope of passing current into the chassis, and these don't even flicker when plugging in. Here's a picture of the back of the PSU.

Attachments

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
If they don’t light up, I would assume bad power supply . We had a core switch do this yesterday. What happens if you flip the power supplies and power it up ? Same ?

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
Note the massive wattage de-rating when running on ~110v power perhaps the onboard management knows it's just not enough? I have no idea what that system requires power wise.

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
Note the massive wattage de-rating when running on ~110v power perhaps the onboard management knows it's just not enough? I have no idea what that system requires power wise.
This may actually be the reason. There is a torn sticker on the top of the unit that appears to indicate it needs 200-240v.

This seems weird though as the internals should, in theory, have no clue what external AC voltage is. All internals should simply want their DC voltage of 5, 12, etc, and the expected wattage for each of those rails.

Just in case, I have ordered a step-up converter on amazon that should be here tomorrow morning. Never know when I may need one, so this is as good of a time as any to try one out. Will let you know how this goes tomorrow.

Attachments

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
Good News! The 3000w 220v step-up converter arrived - plugged it in and the DataOn device powered right up. On the back of those PSUs, they have a LOT of connectors. I assumed they were all simply independent voltage rails, but there must be something in there that is a line voltage indicator or something to tell the chassis internals what type of power grid it's connected to. And it does not want to play nice with 120v even though the PSUs claim to support that.

At least the mystery is solved! :)

Reactions: mr44er and ano

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
I assumed they were all simply independent voltage rails, but there must be something in there that is a line voltage indicator or something to tell the chassis internals what type of power grid it's connected to. And it does not want to play nice with 120v even though the PSUs claim to support that.
Chassis probably communicates with power supply via PMBUS. Could also be custom firmware on the psu.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Very good point - they may have even clipped the 120v transformer lead. Maybe I'll take one apart and see what's going on.
Modern power supplies usually don't have a classic "transformer" that is used for switching between different input voltage ranges.