Damaged Processor Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Alright, so I bought a set of E5-4655v3's from a local seller this evening, but failed to notice the damage to one processor denoted by the red arrow in the attached pictures:

Interestingly, both processors post and boot into windows (individually) and score the same on Cinebench.. How can this be? What exactly am I looking at?

Thanks,
Craig

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Is this "operable, but long term use not recommended" or "get it out of your system immediately" damage? I've contacted the seller to see what he'll do for me..
My guess is that it will increase the chance of some types of random errors, but won't damage either your motherboard or the processor. Bypass caps are generally one of the areas that get Muntzed, so it may not have any effect at all in your application.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Make sure to test it thoroughly for your use case and intended hardware ...
I had a retial CPU once which apparently had some damaged internals (not visible), it only accepted singe rank dimms in a specific slot and disabled some pci-e expansion slots, the other stuff was working fine...