CWWK Pentium Gold 8505 Soft Router Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BenMc

Jul 23, 2023
I've purchased two CWWK Pentium Gold 8505 mini-PCs with six 2.5G ethernet ports each and I will be building a Proxmox cluster to replace my current N100 based Proxmox host that has 5 2.5G ethernet ports. This post is a mini-review of this Pentium Gold 8505 mini-PC.

I'm upgrading to the 8505 because the 8505 has 20 PCIe lanes while the N100 only has 9. So, for example, my N100 has 5 Ethernet ports, 2 NVME M.2s (one lane each), and a few USBs but no USB-3 or USB-C because it ran out of lanes. In contrast, the 8505 mini-PC has 6 Ethernet ports, one NVME M.2 with PCIe by four, a second NVME M.2 with PCEe by one, and multiple USB-3 and USB-C ports. The 8505 also provides one Alder Lake performance core (with 2 threads) in addition to 4 E-Cores.

The CWWK page for the 8505 is pitifully lacking in details about this mini-PC so here are a few observations and corrections:
  • The unit does include a 75mm low profile fan (despite being described as fanless). The fan is basically silent and it helps cool the RAM and SSDs.
  • There are two NVME M.2 slots (I expected one). One has 4 Gen-3 lanes and the other has 1 Gen-3 lane.
  • The unit appears to have a WIFI slot (under one of the NVMEs) but I didn't test it.
  • There are two SATA-3 ports and the kit includes two cables to connect the tiny motherboard connector to the SATA drive. The connector and cable provide data and power to the drive. Don't expect to power a 3.5" hard drive from this connector. FWIW, the connector and cable are small, and seem fragile, but the cable and connector fit together tightly so it too some force to unplug the cable.
Here's a picture of the motherboard with some labels identifying various components. Note the NVME M.2 in the center of the board is the one with only one PCIe lane.

(oh well, I couldn't get this site to upload my picture even when it was only 220K long)

CPU performance, measured by Geekbench 6, of the Pentium 8505 is roughly double that of the N100 for both single and multi-core tests. Here links to the test results for the 8505 and the N100 for full details. Note, the test environments for the chips were slightly different:
  • The 8505 was tested under the latest MX Linux (live USB) running Linux 6.6.
  • The N100 was tested on my Proxmox 8.0 host while it was idle. (I.e. the test was not run in a VM). The OS was Linux 6.2-pve.
I used stress-ng utility to get a rough idea about maximum temperatures. (This was not an exhaustive test). The P-core temperatures ran from low 70's to about 85 while the E-cores ran in the mid 60s (C). The fan has Auto, Max, and some kind of software controlled PWM settings in the BIOS. Using Auto vs Max made no difference, probably because the CPU heat dissipates through the metal chassis heat sink.

I checked USB speeds with an NVME drive contained in a NVME to USB adapter. The red USB-A ports run at 10 Gbps, the blue USB-A ports run at 5 Gbps, and the USB-C port runs at 10 Gbps based on disk speeds measured at about 930 GB/sec, 460 GB/sec, and 930 GB/sec, respectively.

Overall, I'm happy with these mini-PCs. They were about $275 with no memory or SSD as compared to the $225 I paid for the N100. The extra $50 provides 6 (vs 5) 2.5G Ethernet ports, double the CPU performance, 2 memory slots instead of 1, and 5 various USB ports that are 10 to 20 times faster than the crappy USB-2 ports available on my current N100 box.

Note, there are many mini-PCs with N100s that have plenty of high speed USB ports. But, they then don't have many network ports. The N100 doesn't have enough lanes for both. The CWWK Pentium Gold 8505 does and so it provides plenty of network and USB ports.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Interesting Processor.

1 Performance core and 4 Efficient cores. 6 total threads.
2 memory channels
20 PCIe Lanes

roughly twice the performance - so about the same speed as the N305

Can we ask CWWK to make a NAS variant that has 6 native SATA ports? and not have the PCIe slot use the same PCIe lane as the 2nd M.2 slot? or have more channels on the 2nd M.2 slot and a 4 channel PCIe slot...
We can dream right?

Chris

Last edited:

BenMc

Jul 23, 2023
Interesting Processor.

1 Performance core and 4 Efficient cores. 6 total threads.
2 memory channels
20 PCIe Lanes

roughly twice the performance - so about the same speed as the N305

Can we ask CWWK to make a NAS variant that has 6 native SATA ports? and not have the PCIe slot use the same PCIe lane as the 2nd M.2 slot? or have more channels on the 2nd M.2 slot and a 4 channel PCIe slot...
We can dream right?

Chris
Yea, this would be a good high-performance NAS CPU but I'd rather get it on a mini-ITX board so I can put into the NAS case of my choice.

Tzvia

Sep 5, 2022
there is a thread for this platform: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/cwwk-i5-1235u-6-port-i226-report.39341/
the 8505 is the smallest model available (i have that one as well).
its also available with various i3,i5,i7 alderlake u and p cpu's (and otherwise identical mainboard and hardware)
In that thread that beisser mentions, there is that bios from fta that I was able to flash- and the CPU temps dropped from the mid/upper 30s c, to the mid 20s... Good setup tips that quite a few contributors had shared in there as well. I was able to enable Intel SpeedShift and C states with it. It has been rock solid running PFSense, routing between 5 vlans (the 6 i226 ethernet jacks sure come in handy), and running several packages including Snort and PFBlocker. Way overkill I admit, but it's a bit of 'future proof', and runs so cool I don't need to use an internal fan... Just put a fan on top of the fins, held down with zip ties and velcro straps, and it's good to go.

NWA

Feb 27, 2024
Got such device from HUNSN.
What a nice device. Stability is unparalleled. Performance is shocking, the crypto quickly outperformed my signature 16core desktop in IPC at least. Great for Opnsense and multiple VPN clients and servers. Can be used as a bridge, but that's taking too much CPU, with zero offload due to generic nature of deployment. The amount of hardware plugs and headers is crazy. I mean, 2x RAM, 2x NVME, 2x SSD, SD card, TypeC, video, and still desktop like pins inside?

I slapped ultra thin Arctic P14 on top at just 5V via USB, zero noise, and it reduces the body temperature massively. I fixed it with screws. The holes actually fit the grill gaps.

Now the BIOS was pretty fresh, C states included, but this is the list of things not working:
1. WDT. This would massively benefit a firewall appliance. But it's not cooperating, and it just resets the PC.
2. Secure Boot. There's no setting, and the Linux OS can't update it. At least TPM is working, so the NVME can be double encrypted with LUKS and SED in unattended mode:cool:
3. QAT. Oh my god. I was excited about this. A gift to VPN. But according to research, it's working in Intel way, "maybe a decade later":confused: Just like GPU virtualization since Gen10. See you later.

Indeed much more future proof choice than N100!